Notices

Made the call...

Old 10-08-2013, 11:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made the call...

I made the call and I have my first appointment with a counsler this week. My ego is suffering over this. No offence to anyone in therapy etc...I am just being bombarded with how egotistical I am!

Anyway, this is not a substance abuse counsler, just a regular one. I guess that's ok, because I don't have the desire to drink, but coming out of denial of so many things about myself really has my brain spinning!

I told them I was an alcoholic recovering in AA and if they could be of service to someone like me. They assured me they could. So, on to the next right thing I guess.

Does anyone see someone who is not a specific counsler for substance abuse? And is it helping?

Thanks
Old 10-08-2013, 12:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great question. I saw a therapist for many years. If you can, think of the time with the Therapist as time solely devoted to you and no one else. You may begin to process problems in a different way. It can not hurt to get out what is in your head. I found therapy to be helpful and looked forward to my time. You may find relief with the whole experience.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Its a cold and its a broken hallelujah.

I'm the poster child for therapy. I love it. LOVE IT.

I'm currently using a hypnotherapist whom I adore. My best investment in me thus far.

My advice - get over yourself. To get over yourself...

Check your ego at the door and let it all hang out. It's liberating. Like skinny dipping.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yup - I have no chemical dependance to alcohol. Probably fall into the Addict category more than alcoholic, meaning alcohol could be replaced by any vices drugs, sex, booze, adrenaline.

I am an egomaniac that suffers from a bit of a god complex. I have learned this through my early recovery and this process of sobriety. In fact, being around alcohol is not an issue, it does not stimulate any triggers. IF your like me and closing a huge deal, or speaking in front of thousands of people though and you ego is on fire, well the urges are almost unbearable. Same if my ego is bruised. I believe this means I can't drink or use drugs but the drink and drugs are not the problem, merely a coping mechanism. The movie American Psycho comes to mind.

I see my therapist for the first time Thursday to start the process of understanding why I am the way I am. Ironically, these traits have made me very, very successful in business but limit my ability to be a fulfilled human.

Will let you know how it goes.

AO - I think your joking but FYI telling someone like myself and by way of BB to "get over themselves" or to check their ego at the door is like telling an alcoholic just don't drink. Its not very helpful, sorry.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:36 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks guys. I'm sure I'm going to like it. But my ego does not like to ask for help! Blah!
I love the skinny dipping reference, that made me smile. I am going to think of that when I go. Thanks
I do have an ego problem, but I would not feel an ego boots speaking in front of people. I just like to think I'm perfect, but I have thousands of insecurities. Maybe a superiority complex? Who knows, I guess that's what the counselor is for.
I wish you well jdooner. I would like to hear how it goes for you.
Old 10-08-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

BB - Asking for help is one of the toughest things I have ever done. My idea of being an island in and of myself is what made me drink. But so did my raging inferiority complex. On one hand I thought I had it all figured out, on the other I felt like no one really "got me".

That's what is so freeing about therapy. You see that as long as the ego is driving the bus, you will go no where but in circles. Its great for eluding you into the delusion that you can be "successful" in things that have absolutely no significance whatsoever to soul fulfillment.

And finding that fulfillment is really what (I think) we are here for.

Just let go. Let go of the control. Free fall into your self. Into your soul. It's such a relief to not have to always be "in control" or right or proper or politically correct.

I hope that this is as blissful for you BB as it has been for me.

See you at the pool !
Old 10-08-2013, 01:00 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

That does sound sooooo good alphaomega. Thanks
Old 10-08-2013, 01:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

I felt that way about counselling too for a lot of years, but I'm glad I went.

Sometimes I felt like I was all alone drifting in the dark on a endless dark sea - it was good to have someone with a light on the shore guiding me in, you know?

D
Old 10-08-2013, 01:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Black Bird, great news! We are with you!
Old 10-08-2013, 01:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I did almost 10 years of work with an excellent therapist. She helped me change my life. I say helped me (and she would encourage me to take ownership) because we worked together as a team. A good therapist should be a guide, someone you trust to enhance your life's journey. She was respectful, insightful, nonjudgemental, and really helped me understand aspects of myself that I was too close to see. I think therapy is a luxury. I was freed up from a lot of the shoulds and musts I had enshrouded myself with.

However, (and I started a thread about this last week) I have had some not so great therapists. Just because someone has a degree does not necessarily mean they are a good fit. And it is not always a quick or visible process. In retrospect I feel like a lot of the most important work went on when I left a session and began to apply a new set of skills and a shifted perception in the real world.
Old 10-08-2013, 02:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

No need to apologize JD - I wouldn't expect that phrase to work for you.

But it did for this egomaniac. For me there was no coddling necessary. I realized that in order to get over myself, I had to get over myself . Just like sooner or later I had to come to the bare bones realization that as an alcoholic, the only thing that would work would be to stop drinking.

No fluff. No pomp. No circumstance.

Just balls to the realistic wall is what worked for me.
Old 10-08-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm at the other end of the spectrum with low self esteem and had my anxieties about going to therapy for that reason. However, I've discovered that even though I have a lot of fear about being the centre of attention in groups I am VERY comfortable talking about myself for long periods of time one on one!!

In all seriousness counselling has been great for me. It has been primarily to deal with clinical depression but I've been able to look at the alcohol abuse problem and the role it plays as well. I've got a really great counsellor this time round and that has made the world of difference. I actually look forward to going! Don't be afraid to change to someone else if you don't feel it is working with someone.