Notices

Cancer, sobriety, & my Family!

Old 10-08-2013, 04:36 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Cancer, sobriety, & my Family!

Good morning everyone. I guess I got used to being woken up early in the morning for all my blood work, & Blood pressure business. Because I'm up & there are no nurses around... yay! It's been such a long week. But, my brother is coming to see me for a month! I'm so excited. I feel better knowing that he will be here with me through some of the Chemo. Especially after the disaster that was my sisters visit. My brother & I have a special bond. When we were kids & our parents divorced, My sister (oldest) went to live with our mom, & Kenny & I stayed with dad. It was the early to mid 70's & things were hard. If it rained, Daddy didn't work, because he worked as a painter in a Boatyard. But, Kenny (Bubby) & I always found ways to have fun, &/or get into trouble. He put a posting on his face book that brought tears to my eyes. I thought that I would share it with you, my friends here at SR, because this is the kind of thread that holds me together. This is the heart that I face this cancer with, This is the tenacity that runs in my family bloodline....
"When Ronda (my real name) and I were kids we went walking down to West Palm Beach downtown. She stepped off the curb and cut her foot on a bottle bottom. I wrapped her foot in my shirt. Then I carried her home to the house on my back. Now I have a chance to do that again, I'm taking a month off and coming down there to be together. Thank you for let me have a chance to carry you on my back again." ( might I interject here that it was 35-40 blocks home!... & summertime in South Florida)
I hope I didn't break any rules putting our names out there. I feel close to so many of you all here in SR. As you can see I call my brother Bubby! He does not call me Ronda, (or Key) he has always called me "Baby". Yes, like in "Dirty Dancing", but, to be honest... I was Baby first. Since I was youngest, my parents always made them "check on, keep an eye on, Where's the"... BABY!
So, my being sick has been a huge blow, and, it's a wonderful feeling that I get to spend time with my Bubby. My sister has had time to process this whole diagnosis & also wants to come spend time with me when she can get off work for a week. I will have to lay down some boundaries when that time comes though, she has to understand that this is about me fighting this, not watching her fall apart, & drinking while I'm fighting this!. So, I wont be all alone in this little trailer. Should be interesting the amount of closeness we will accomplish! Maybe my big sister can learn something from me, & face these that are true with sober eyes! If not, she will learn that I will protect this body & sobriety with all my might! There is nothing more important to me & my well being!
Just wanted to share this with all of you, & thank you all for the well wishes. Today I pray to hear from Medicaid to follow up so they can start the Chemo! The lump has just continued to grow, along with my concern!
Have a wonderful day everyone.
Headed to the chat for a little morning laughter!
Much Love SR,
Key

Old 10-08-2013, 04:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi key,

It's great that your brother will be able to visit you for a whole month.
Sounds like a really stand up guy to carry you that far when your foot was hurt.
Here's hoping that medicare will come through and that the chemo can start.

And yes,perhaps you can enlighten your big sister about the dangers of alcohol.And how good or bad,sober eyes are much better to view things that we cherish.

I'm not really a big typer,but know that you are in my prayers.
Old 10-08-2013, 05:07 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Your brother sounds brilliant!! Also, LOVE your name - Rhonda is a valley in Wales (if you didn't already know)
Great to hear from you!! x x
Old 10-08-2013, 05:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Learning to LIve

(((((hugs))))) key
Old 10-08-2013, 05:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

best wishes Key

D
Old 10-08-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for the update Ronda!! You have been in my thoughts. So nice to hear your Bubby is coming to be with you, your post gave me chill bumps.

(((Keyweird))) and prayers!!!
Old 10-08-2013, 06:53 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Key, your brother is the man! So glad to hear that he is stepping up for you. Thinking about you today.

Bear Hugs,
Cas
Old 10-08-2013, 08:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Key your post brought tears to my eyes (in a good way). I'm so happy your brother is going to be with you.
Sending you a huge hug.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:15 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am so glad that you are excited to be seeing your brother, soon.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Key, it's wonderful that your brother will be visiting you. I am thinking about you. Sending you hugs.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:18 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

That's great, Ronda! You have an awesome brother! I'm so happy about the bond between you two.

That is some powerful healing stuff!

You set me up for a whole day of smiling, thank you!

I'm sending you positive thoughts and well wishes.
Old 10-09-2013, 07:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Wow, key! What an awesome brother you have! Is he married?

I know you are frustrated with your sister. I know her behavior hurts you in a deep way. But there is something positive to look toward, key. We never really know how our behavior affects those around us. I believe that you are already serving an extraordinary example of how to live a gracious life for your sister. You may not have the luxury of seeing the seeds you plant in her germinate and flourish, but have no doubt, dear one, that you are planting those seeds in her. And they will germinate and flourish.

Has anyone told you today how awesome you are? You are super awesome in a most powerful way. Hugs to you!
Old 10-10-2013, 01:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Wow, sounds awesome Key! Another miracle in your life. I realize you've had a few; getting sober, now your brother spending the month with you. I sure hope there's one more miracle up your sleeve with the Big C! You're a fighter, that's for sure. Looks like cancer has quite a fight on its hands.

Best wishes to you and your brother. I hope the this helps get you pumped up.
Old 10-10-2013, 03:15 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Beautiful post. Brought tears 2 my eyes. Sending prayer and positive thoughts your way. So glad your brother and sister are coming to visit.