Notices

Hard to Quit

Old 10-07-2013, 09:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hard to Quit

I am newly sober, again. I am finding it harder to refrain from drinking as I get older. In my late 20's/early 30's I could turn it off and stay sober for long periods at a time (even had 2 years once). But now in my late 30's the withdraw symptoms hit me much harder and I am a total wreck in between drinks.

I know this way of life will eventually kill me, and the last thing I want to do is leave my wife with 2 young boys to raise on her own. I need to stop, NOW! I need to write this and get it down on paper. I need to stop lying and hurting the ones I love the most. I need to find a program..and get my life back.

The obstacles I face are tough to overcome. I have done this so long drinking is normal to me and a way of life. Also I have horrible shame over some things I've done in my personal life, I drink to escape them. And for my job I travel often and drinking is always on the agenda. Oh God just please help me, thanks for reading.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Nothing important is easy. Sobriety is no different. The toughest obstacle is your own thinking. You can do this.
Old 10-07-2013, 09:10 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Give a.a a try
Old 10-07-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Have you looked into Rational Recovery?
Old 10-07-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
I am newly sober, again. I am finding it harder to refrain from drinking as I get older. In my late 20's/early 30's I could turn it off and stay sober for long periods at a time (even had 2 years once). But now in my late 30's the withdraw symptoms hit me much harder and I am a total wreck in between drinks.

Hello .. I would urge you to read this pdf.. It is very scary but it will explain why the witdrwal symptoms hits harder everytime..

http://pubs.niaaa.nih.gov/publicatio...22-1/25-34.pdf
Old 10-07-2013, 10:18 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Read up on "Kindling". You'll see why it keeps getting harder to quit.
Old 10-07-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

AA is for you. God bless you x
Old 10-07-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Try looking into Rational Recovery - I found their separation between "I" and "The Addictive Voice" in our head to be a great idea to keep in mind. The urges and cravings aren't you, it's the addiction, and you can overcome anything when you put your mind to it. I'm sorry for your pain, but you can do this!
Old 10-07-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

It sounds like you need to make some changes to your method of approaching sobriety.

I have found that long term sobriety provides some remarkable perspectives.

Stay well.

Old 10-07-2013, 02:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Malgudy - SS - 31-Aug-2013

I have been the worst with my personal life with all the shame and guilt. If i can do this far you can surely do better. Wish you all the success in this ultimate journey. You will see the stuff you have done in the past in a different manner when sober... shame will fade away as a mistake.. like we all make.. no one is perfect but i have experienced that people who initially become alcoholic or drug addicts are often very intelligent people who are also passionate about others feelings and want to know more about this universe .. but once they get trapped in this case of addition, he or she cannot express it without getting high/drunk... Things change in sobriety and we learn to accept our mistakes and we start to express ourselves in a normal way without any hesitation, in general there is more and more respect you see from others.. The thing for sure.. The shame of getting drunk last night will be gone off your list from the day one of sobriety and it can only getting better from there..... I have finally after 20 years found myself with my feet on the ground with a firm grip for the first time since sobriety of 39 days. I wish you all the best.. This forum is the best use of internet you can make... Smiles....
Old 10-07-2013, 02:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

The obstacles you refer to are no tougher than those thousands of alcoholics have have dealt with in the course of getting sober. AA is good at dealing with the behaviour people are ashamed of when they were drinking. I'm not pushing any specific approach but if you want to address that sort of stuff AA can help.
Old 10-07-2013, 02:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome back WR

all that stuff - the drinking as a way of life, drinking as our identity, getting harder and harder to quit...it's all stuff others here have faced.

Stop drinking. We build it up in our heads, but it's not an impossible task. There's thousands of people here to prove that. You can do this too

Plug yourself in here, see what other people have done - follow a way that makes sense to you....and change your life

I've never regretted it
Old 10-07-2013, 02:27 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Well, as your username suggests, there is a program out there.