Notices

Alcohol is a Poison

Old 10-04-2013, 04:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcohol is a Poison

Ugh. This will hopefully be my first sober weekend since I can't remember. I haven't drank in 5 days, but that is not a big deal for me because I typically don't drink on the weekdays. So, I thought I would google "Alcohol is a poison" to give myself good empirical data that would remind me why I would never want to put that vile liquid in my body. Unfortunately, the websites I started reading were very soft on the whole issue. One site actually was talking about how drinkers live longer! Not what my AV needs!! My AV has been very good lately at rationalizing why I don't really have a problem. . . you know, that I am just a drama queen. Ugh.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:15 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Alcohol in VERY SMALL doses, has been shown to ward off heart disease (or something or other), but NOT in the quantities that people on an addiction forum get/got through
Old 10-04-2013, 04:17 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I did the same thing last night! Lol there appears to be a lot of evidence that moderate "normies" may be helped in overall health by drinking occasionally. I was never one of those. My dad is. He'll have a glass of wine and then maybe the bottle will sit there for months after that with more in it. I'm glad it is possibly helpful for him to do that, it would be a slow, painful death sentence for me to pick up a drink again.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Drinkers might live longer.
In my experience alcoholics die sooner!
We have nothing whatsoever with 'normal drinkers' when it comes to booze..
Enjoy a sober weekend.
G
Old 10-04-2013, 04:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I think alcohol might have some health benefits the way chemotherapy has some health benefits - it may help in one area, but there is probably a high price to pay. The red wine benefits have been largely debunked. Any benefit is from a chemical in the red wine and it is NOT the alcohol. Alcohol is a poison.
Old 10-04-2013, 04:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thanks Jazzfish, I didn't realise that
Old 10-04-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No half measures

Do your research in the newspaper. there is not a day that goes by that you cannot find an article about the carnage and death that alcohol causes. Read the obituaries and look for people that died suddenly you can bet that 90 percent of them are alcohol or drug related.

When I was drinkig I skipped these articles because I didn't want to see the truth
Old 10-04-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi double. A good book on the subject is "Under the Influence"
There are excerpts from the book at the top of the "Alcoholism Forum"
Old 10-04-2013, 07:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
sgs

I was eating at a bar with my son and a friend last night. The friend ordered a Pepsi and son ordered a dark beer. I thought about this as I ordered my Pepsi. The friend drinks some but did not feel like alcohol last night. The son enjoyed the one beer and finished with water. I knew I could not enjoy one scotch on the rocks (an old favorite) and not want to add several more once I was home in my bed....so it is different for US than THEM. Have a good one form Day 51 SGS.