Notices

Just trying to get through day 1 (again)

Old 10-02-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

Just trying to get through day 1 (again)

You'd think at this point I would have seen all the typical warning signs. DUI. Drunk in public. Getting kicked out of bars, etc.. I've been a heavy daily drinker for years, and have tried to quit in the past, but I feel like my world is caving in and it's now or never.

I'm not proud to admit it but I was fired two weeks ago for drinking on the job. It wasn't about being drunk, it was maintanence. I've hit the point where I feel sick when I don't drink. I shake and sweat and I have to drink periodically to keep it together. I lied to my friends and said I quit, but my manager found evidence of my drinking at work and I was let go, totally embarrassed. I showed up to pick a jacket the next week and I couldn't look anyone in their eyes.

That would wake most people up, but not me. I've spent the better part of two weeks drinking my shame away. Morning to night. I should be looking for a job but I tell myself that I will be more motivated if I drank. Lies. I would wake up hungover and drink as soon as I could. It kinda hit a brick wall yesterday. Two weeks of hangovers and my system finally fought back. I felt like death, but managed to buy a 12 pack ad drink it before noon. I then passed out. When I woke up the first thing I wanted was more beer. I got dressed, and headed out to the store but as I passed by the bathroom I got violently sick and stayed like that for a few hours. I finally gave up on the idea of going out.

It's rare I sleep sober, and I find it almost impossible to do. I was up all night sweating and shaking and at 6am gave up on the idea of sleep. My pillow was soaked, my hands are shaking so bad that every other word I type is a typo. I need to face the fact that I will either quit or live my life like this forever. I've isolated myself in my room only leaving for beer. I need a job but can't bear the idea of having to drink to function and getting fired again. I'm honestly scared to think that the beer I finished at 11:45am yesterday might be the last one, but I need to do this for my health and sanity.
Old 10-02-2013, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
jkb

So what is your plan to stop drinking? Sounds like you may need a detox. Jess
Old 10-02-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I was right there with you at the beginning of September. I lost my job and my wife so I drank until i passed out then woke up and started drinking again. Time of day did not mean anything to me at that point I just wanted to drink. I didn't eat for days at a time and about after three weeks of this straight I new I was near death so I went to the er for detox meds and then to my family doc the next day. I am now 14 days sober but I couldn't do it with out help. I am done with the beer/alcohol for good it has ruined everything in my life.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
International Man of Mystery

I'm drinking water as much as possible. Two plastic bottles an hour. I feel better than this morning. I should get something to eat but I'm not too sure about going out. Rhino, like you I would go days without eating, thinking that I'd increase my buzz if I drank on an empty stomach. Come to think of it that last thing I ate was a can of soup two days ago.

I just went through my room and cleaned up all the cans. Filled up a 39 gallon bag with cans and boxes. I don't invite people over for fear of them seeing how I live. I'm going to try AA again, but I want my condition to improve a little. Last time I tried to quit people were giving me their numbers after the meeting and my hands were shaking so bad I couldn't write them down.
Old 10-02-2013, 02:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Ncognito13 View Post
I'm drinking water as much as possible. Two plastic bottles an hour. I feel better than this morning. I should get something to eat but I'm not too sure about going out. Rhino, like you I would go days without eating, thinking that I'd increase my buzz if I drank on an empty stomach. Come to think of it that last thing I ate was a can of soup two days ago. I just went through my room and cleaned up all the cans. Filled up a 39 gallon bag with cans and boxes. I don't invite people over for fear of them seeing how I live. I'm going to try AA again, but I want my condition to improve a little. Last time I tried to quit people were giving me their numbers after the meeting and my hands were shaking so bad I couldn't write them down.
I think shaking hands or not I think if you think this will help you then if I was you I'd go in whatever state your in. These people hopefully will remember that they were just like you and have no place to judge you. I wish you well.
Old 10-02-2013, 03:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I hope you're successful this time.