Notices

Been here before

Old 09-25-2013, 11:36 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Been here before

Good morning everyone it's a lovely autumn morning here in England and already on my day 14. I have no problems at all getting to this stage but then again I have had a lot of practice! Over the last 5 years or so I have tried to moderate with periods of sobriety some as long as six months but mostly about 2 or 3 weeks at which point I start to ease myself back into the drink. I seem to have a reflective memory as far as drink is concerned as I only recall how good it made me feel ,the first few anyway,and forget the feelings the next day the wasted day in most cases.drink is very cunning isn't it? Anyway will crack on today and look forward to day 15!
Old 09-25-2013, 11:40 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad to have you here with us!

I notice that you already have 15 posts, so I assume you've been here for a short bit. Hope to continue to see you around
Old 09-25-2013, 11:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done and keep it up, Toffee ! Keep posting especially when you feel vulnerable.
Old 09-25-2013, 11:43 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Enjoy a lovely sober september day toffee x
Old 09-25-2013, 11:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

congrats on your fortnight Toffee

D
Old 09-25-2013, 11:59 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Toffee, welcome.
Old 09-26-2013, 12:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Good going Toffee. I have been a bit of a serial quitter too.

Actually that isn't true. I have been a serial 'stopper', a serial 'dryer outer', a serial 'ffs you have to stop this-er' and a serial 'I can't go on-er'..that's been me.

Mostly this has involved not drinking for a week at most - just enough time for the alcohol to leave my brain, for a tiny bit of clarity to return and to forget the hell I was experiencing when I decided yet again to 'quit'. Most times determined that this was 'it' this time.

On this occasion, which I am going to make permanent, the fates allowing, I made a conscious note (I actually wrote down some notes) describing how I felt at the end this time. How bonkers I was and how bad I felt. I have referred to those notes a few times over the last month too and that has helped.

All the best to you!
Old 09-26-2013, 01:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Well done on 2 weeks, yes your right nothing changes with alcoHELL , it always leads back to hangovers regret wasted days anxiety and obsession.

Good luck.
Old 09-26-2013, 03:51 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone for your thoughts I am trying this forum because whatever I have done before has only helped me to a certain level. I hope this forum will help me to retain my focus because as usual I feel so much better without the drink!
Old 09-26-2013, 03:54 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Have you considered attending AA? You don't have to be a falling down 'hopeless drunk' to attend and you might find it provides the backstop you are looking for.

Originally Posted by Toffee1 View Post
Thanks everyone for your thoughts I am trying this forum because whatever I have done before has only helped me to a certain level. I hope this forum will help me to retain my focus because as usual I feel so much better without the drink!