Notices

New to this

Old 09-22-2013, 01:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New to this

Hello All,
I am very new to sobriety and forums for that matter. Let me start by telling you about myself. I'm 29 and have been married for over 4 years. I have been drinking since I was 18. I started out partying with friends on weekends and before I knew it I had the want and need to get drunk everyday. My wife has tried talking to me for years about my drinking but I only ignored her. I have quit at times maybe a week or 2 but I would just go back to my old ways. In the last year or so I noticed how I turned from a "happy drunk" into a "bitter drunk." This caused me to be short and angry with my wife. Just this past week I decided to quit after saying hurtful things to her. I just have no idea what I'm doing or what I'm in for. I'm scared and happy at the same time because I realize this is the first time I really mean it. I've told my wife I would quit several times and failed her several times so rightfully she is skeptical. She requested I try this. I just need some advice from others like me on what I should do and what I should prepare for. Thanks.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum Curt. You have made the first step by lookign for help!

You will get all sorts of advice but I would say the first thing to do is make a very firm commitment that you want to stop. Nothing makes it more difficult in my view than low motivation or motivation based on a view that one 'should' stop. One needs to really 'want' to stop. There is lots of other advice here about how to manage that process.

Have you thought about joining a group for support? AA for example? That is another option of course. I have found it invaluable personally.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome from me too
Old 09-22-2013, 02:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard x
Old 09-22-2013, 02:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Mentium,
Thanks for your reply. I have thought about AA. I'm nervous about trying it. I wanted to try something like this first to see what to expect in AA. I'm kind of reserved around people I don't know.

Curt
Old 09-22-2013, 02:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Curt, lots of advice and support here.
Old 09-22-2013, 02:31 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I would not for a moment put pressure on you one way or another, but rest assured, if you feel face to face support is what you need, AA groups are very used to welcoming uncertain, nervous and shy new people. They have all been in pretty much the same boat!

Also - there is usually a local person on the end of a phone to talk to first if you want to. Pretty easy to find on-line.

All the best!

Originally Posted by Curt0284 View Post
Mentium,
Thanks for your reply. I have thought about AA. I'm nervous about trying it. I wanted to try something like this first to see what to expect in AA. I'm kind of reserved around people I don't know.

Curt
Old 09-22-2013, 02:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, Curt, we're happy to have you
Old 09-22-2013, 02:56 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Curt
You'll find a lot of support here

the best advice I can offer is read around and post as much as you like - find an approach you like and follow it

D
Old 09-22-2013, 02:59 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR! Read about AVRT and the Crash Course. Rational Recovery | The Crash Course On AVRT. (very interesting read) I use AVRT and SR. There are lots of options. AVRT. AA. SMART. Counseling. and of course SR. You got this!