Notices

Demon drink

Old 09-20-2013, 08:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Josh1982

Demon drink

Been battling with alcohol for over 10years, had many detoxes (each time it gets worser) The withdrawals is the most worst nightmare. When I recover and feel normal or good about myself I pick up again! WHY do I keep doing this? how can I escape from this cycle??
Old 09-20-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Josh1982, lots of support here. Maybe you need to get some extra support and a recovery plan in place?. I know that was what i needed to do in order to break the cycle because trying to do it by myself wasn't working. Glad you are here.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can't answer why you keep going back to it other than your addicted - your letting the addict inside you lead you astray.

It's you against it almost. Yknow the voice that you think is you? Saying stuff like 'you deserve a wee drink you had a hard day' or any excuse that suggests drinking? It's your addict brain talking.

The sensible you - that's here posting - doesn't want to drink. You know it only leads to pain.

Lots of different recovery methods - I hope you stay around and read and post - there's literally lifetimes of helpful information in here.
Old 09-20-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Josh1982 View Post
Been battling with alcohol for over 10years, had many detoxes (each time it gets worser) The withdrawals is the most worst nightmare. When I recover and feel normal or good about myself I pick up again! WHY do I keep doing this? how can I escape from this cycle??
Hey josh,
Sometimes the more sobertime we have the kess we remember the bad of what drink does to us, its like an old relationship, looking back and forgetting the bad times and changing them in your mind, when you feel yourself sliding, you need tonhave something, a diary a list, to remind you why you cannot drink, for us, one drink is too many, and a hundred arent enough, keep posting xx
Old 09-20-2013, 08:41 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome to Sober Recovery.

WHY do I keep doing this? how can I escape from this cycle??
Sounds like alcoholism. Treat it as such. Quit and accept you can never drink again.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Have you tried AA? I'm not preaching it but it seems to be working for me right now.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family! My good friend CarolD used to say that when you want to be sober more than you want to drink, then you'll be able to stay sober.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

My guess to the OP is that you're an alcoholic. Just like me. Day one again. I'm young, only 26 years old and the withdrawals are hell.

Hang in there.
Old 09-20-2013, 01:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Josh

I found posting here regularly helped me break the cycle - and that and really be prepared for the next time the cravings and the rationalisations hit, cos I knew they would.

I wanted to be done - for good.

D
Old 09-20-2013, 01:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

how can I escape from this cycle??
You cant escape the cycle on your own
Old 09-20-2013, 02:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Stick around, read and post. Come here if you feel like drinking and comfort someone else instead. Keep sharing. It gets better. Welcome!
Old 09-20-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Accept that you cannot drink moderately and figure out other ways to destress, sleep and have fun. Ive had much success with magnesium supplement, essential oils, eating mostly paleo and finally accepting that I cant have it again.