Notices

Bags & Sags

Old 09-19-2013, 08:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Angry Bags & Sags

I went from a couple glasses of wine on wkds to almost every day to almost a bottlea wkd to almost every day. Been weaning this summer & am back down to a couple of glasses a wkd. This was over the last 8 yrs. The whole bottle habit this last year.

My question is, will I LOOK different around my eyes if I cut back or quit in time? Or am I alwas going to have these bags? I get plenty of sleep and weigh what I should for my height. I AM 47. Maybe its hormonal?

Any experiences welcome,
Beebop
Old 09-19-2013, 08:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Beebop

I'm not a cosmetologist, but I think most people will tell you everything improves, includes appearance, if we stop drinking

Is it your aim to stop completely?

welcome to SR
D
Old 09-19-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi D

I dont think so. But I KNOW its to not drink during the week and to NOT drink more than glasses on A F or S night. Ive gotten so healthy this summer I even like an occasional F or S ouing with NO alcohol. But still find myself obsessing over the thoughts of it too much. weird!
Old 09-19-2013, 09:51 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Quitting alcohol definately helped my puffy eyes. Ugh, whenI think how I looked some mornings. I still have some bags, oh well, but no where near what they were when I drank.

If you're obsessing over alcohol you may want to consider quitting completely. And see how your eyes look!
Old 09-19-2013, 09:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me the obsession is what sealed it. That's what convinced me I was true-blue alcoholic. I realized the fact I could sometimes restrain myself wasn't the most relevant fact; what mattered was that I had to restrain myself at all. My natural inclination was to drink, drink, drink. It was an animal drive, and a strong one. I could hold it back when I had to, but it wasn't fun.

Which begged the question: if the goal is moderation, and I don't enjoy moderation, what's the point? I mean, moderation was not relaxing. How can one relax with a drink when they're obsessing over all the drinks they can't have, shouldn't have, won't have... oh, well maybe just one more, but no more.... Ok, two more, tops, but then that's it.... Holy cow it's exhausting to even think about!

I know exactly how you feel. It seems like such a huge sacrifice to just stop. I thought life would be so much harder. But now I look back and see how much harder it was living with that secret obsession.

If you are able to moderate, and enjoy it, then more power to you. I was never able to pull it off. But it's all for the best. And yeah, to answer your original question, it made a huge difference in my appearance.

Anyway, welcome to SR, beebop. This is a good place to ask these kinds of questions.
Old 09-19-2013, 09:57 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Moderating or trying to control what day, how much etc didn't work for me. I started drinking socially at age 25. At 40 I was drinking every week, but not everyday. Next thing I come to realize is that I'm 55 and am drinking 2 bottles of wine a night. Oh the mind games and lies....I have 10 months sobriety. I do it one day at a time in the AA program. Best of luck on the eye bags, I also think genetics plays a role too. :-D. Bobbi
Old 09-19-2013, 10:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

most drunks are not looking that good

Originally Posted by beebop View Post

My question is, will I LOOK different around my eyes if I cut back or quit in time? Or am I alwas going to have these bags?
if you quit drinking
seems there should be some improvement
but
being 47 probably means they are there to stay

one thing for sure
if one keeps on drinking heavily
it will greatly advance the aging process

most drunks are not looking that good for their age

many that show up in AA look much older than their true age

Mountainman

Old 09-20-2013, 02:20 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Beebop it's funny you should ask that because googling that question was the fate that brought me here! I too was a normal weight but had these bags under my eyes that pissed me off! Today they are GONE. I use to try and say it was just aging but it wasn't it was alcohol. If you are early in recovery and vanity is a motivator,( it's ok it was for me too). I did this little experiment, take a pic of yourself everyday same time. The change will astound you! You may not see it through the mirror because these changes are gradual, but not only will you look better you can actually see a light turn on in your eyes
Old 09-20-2013, 02:29 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Getting healthier always improves your appearance. If your body is struggling, it will show on your face. I quit a few weeks ago, I lost a ton of weight, which I expected because 90% of my intake was beer, what I didn't expect was just how much healthier I look. Seeing an old picture of me now I look like an old, battered version of myself. That's just after a few weeks!
Old 09-20-2013, 02:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Just a little FYI In Chinese medicine it is said that the liver opens into the eyes.
Old 09-20-2013, 03:27 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Realising my life

Originally Posted by BarbieKen View Post
Moderating or trying to control what day, how much etc didn't work for me. I started drinking socially at age 25. At 40 I was drinking every week, but not everyday. Next thing I come to realize is that I'm 55 and am drinking 2 bottles of wine a night. Oh the mind games and lies....I have 10 months sobriety. I do it one day at a time in the AA program. Best of luck on the eye bags, I also think genetics plays a role too. :-D. Bobbi
Oh, BarbieKen, change the 55 to 52 and you've just described me! I'm now approaching 8 months sober.

To be honest, I still see my bags whenever I dare to look in the mirror, but my husband says I look so much better and much more alive. I guess vivacity trumps bags?
Old 09-20-2013, 04:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Omg!

Im so happy I could cry! Your answers are so amazingly encouraging! Im so grateful to have people to talk honestly about this struggle! THANK YOU thank thank you! Right now Im feeling healthy and happy and thinking how it would be great to go a whole weekend without wine. My boyfriend comes into town today, stays til Sun & theres always the fine dining exoeriences that get me. Anyone tried drinking something else at a restaurant that helps? I was actually thinking of bringing some chery juice or Pom and asking for a wine glass so I felt like I had something special...but healthy.
Hugs,
Beebop
Old 09-20-2013, 04:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

I am 50 (well, 51 tomorrow) and whereas genetics do come into play I can tell you this:

My skin is now soft, my hair is now soft, my eyes are CLEAR, and I look younger. What I thought was nothing more than the effects of age were the product of alcohol. Sure, I still have some fine lines but they're easily covered.

Just a note, I only drank on Fridays and Saturdays.
Old 09-20-2013, 05:58 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Realising my life

And a very happy birthday for tomorrow, Lady Blue :day1
Old 09-20-2013, 10:26 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Happy Birthday Lady Blue!! Original OP....I've always loved 'fancy' stemware, a pretty table, nice presentation etc. No need to stop all that (IMO)...unless it's going to be a trigger to actually drink an alcoholic beverage...or lots more! Only you know that answer.
:-D. Bobbi
Old 09-20-2013, 10:39 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
EndGame

I once heard someone say that the worst thing about being middle-aged is that you eventually grow out of it.
Old 09-20-2013, 10:59 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Velveteen Rabbit

I am 49 years old and 18 days sober. I have noticed a significant difference in my skin and my eyes. I look "brighter." No bags now...no puffiness in my face.

I was a wine drinker.

Give it up. It's a wonderful feeling to be free and healthy.
Old 09-20-2013, 11:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I was bloated, sweaty, red faced, high blood pressure, bags under the eyes, black heads, clogged pores, glassy eyes, bad breath, spider veins, and a big red nose.

I'm still pretty ugly, but that stuff has cleared up.
Old 09-21-2013, 02:14 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

im 52 off drink 22 days ,no more red face(used to have to use green cover before makeup) don't use make up every day anymore, eyes bright no heavy black bags .Was 3 stone /42pounds over weight ,due to wine, now2 stone that's a stone off in 22 days. Ask me do I feel better. lol
Old 09-21-2013, 04:23 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I was told my appearance improved a lot after I stopped a similar intake to yours. But aside from that my life improved too because I wasn't waking up disgusted with myself.