Notices

My First AA Meeting

Old 09-18-2013, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My First AA Meeting

I thought maybe this was worthy of its own thread. After having planned to attend AA for the last several months, I finally decided to push myself into one last night at 8pm.

Everyone was really nice, there were even a couple younger people. It was strange to hear stories of people who have gotten in trouble-hospital, DUIs, etc. just like me. While I have alcoholism in my family, everyone else seems to be much more functional and have not had the troubles that I have. One woman even brought me tea and took our break with me and invited me to a women's group.

I want to go back. I have never been around other addicts before and it was comforting.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's good to hear. I have planned to go to an AA meeting for months too, never have. Sometimes I feel like I'm not "bad enough" to go, I'm petrified I will see someone I know who will "leak it" to other people I know. I have three young kids and a husband who doesn't think I need it, so yeah I don't think they have child-care there.

But I hope if I ever do make it, that my experience is like yours.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It really came down to forcing myself to attend. I was also researching community counseling in my area-one of them said they had a child-friendly group, so maybe it's worth a search.
Old 09-18-2013, 07:43 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberChristy View Post
I have never been around other addicts before and it was comforting.
Amen. Glad you went!
Old 09-18-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done Christy; brave of you to go and it sounds like it was certainly worth it x
Old 09-18-2013, 09:17 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad your first experience was positive! The only requirement for membership is the desire to stop drinking as they say. And what doesn't make sense to you you can just leave aside. That's what I do and it seems to work!
Old 09-18-2013, 09:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
AA member

Welcome to the fellowship.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:34 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

Keep coming back Christy! It works. In my 2 1/2 years sober I've found here on SR and in the AA rooms that too many newcomers over think before the first meeting and develop a fear of the unknown, once he met over that first step into the rooms we realize how silly we were! AA is a warm, comforting place where we go to be with others like us, our stories are almost the same, it's the details we find to be different. We can bring our kids, drinks, food....wear our sweats or workout gear, arrive late or leave early. Whenever anyone says "I really need a meeting" we can all relate, and that's what AA is, welcoming friendship, there when we need it, a little, or a lot.

Old 09-18-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for posting! I've been debating whether or not to go to a meeting as well but haven't for a number of reasons. Maybe I'll give it a try.
Old 09-18-2013, 09:51 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everybody! I really appreciate the kind words :-)
Old 09-18-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Thank you for going to a meeting! It is great to see someone taking steps that can lead to sustained recovery.

I just posted this for someone else here. It was suggested by a rehab program to practice using the list of phone numbers you get at your meeting. Call a few folks and say that you hope they are well, you are fine today and practicing using the phone list. It is good to practice because like all things the phone list does not work perfectly--people are not home or can't talk... I practiced, and it showed me that calling for help was such a powerful tool. Just knowing I have that tool has been a comfort at times, and I have yet to need to call in a crisis.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

Awesome to hear Christy. Thank you for sharing this with everyone.

I think everyone I know in AA had some major fear before going to a meeting. (I know I sure did!) I think it's great for everyone to hear how someone else's first meeting went.

Also, there is a great post for anyone who may be curious about AA. Check it out here.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:05 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
quat

Originally Posted by ArcticSA View Post
That's good to hear. I have planned to go to an AA meeting for months too, never have. Sometimes I feel like I'm not "bad enough" to go, I'm petrified I will see someone I know who will "leak it" to other people I know. I have three young kids and a husband who doesn't think I need it, so yeah I don't think they have child-care there.

But I hope if I ever do make it, that my experience is like yours.
I am not a 'support group'(aside I guess from SR )kind of person.
But I would hate to think someone didn't get 'something' they feel they may need to strength their resolve on sobriety. If going to a meeting is something that one thinks may help, not going can then be used later as an excuse for not being strong enough to stay sober.
" See I knew I needed meetings, but for reasons I didn't go, and that is what lead to this"
Everyone has a different path, but we all want the same destination. Don't give up a path, for the wrong reasons. The people one will see at a 'meeting' are there for the same reasons as you , I am not sure why the fear of being outed comes into play. Or rather why it should, they can only 'tattle, or out someone' by outing themselves, and I am fairly sure most at the meetings aren't there for gossip. Just my thoughts, if you think it may help try it, if for no other reason than not giving one's self a built in excuse.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:10 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I am planning a return to AA within the next few days. It's a daunting thought, But we all got to start somewhere. I have been putting it off for months myself, I don't know why it worries me, I have been before and know what to expect. I think it's the thought of feeling like a stranger again.
Old 09-18-2013, 10:14 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I am so pleased Christy tonite is my 10 meeting in 16 days is keeping me on the straight path go you
Old 09-18-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good for you!!! I'm not a huge meeting person myself, but I push myself to go, and I can't remember ever going to a meeting that didn't give me one or two useful things to take away. Usually, it's far more than that. I'm really glad that you put your fears aside and went.
Old 09-18-2013, 11:00 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

The thing that's comforting to a lot of us is nice to be among people who understand us and went through it in the past themselves. BE WELL
Old 09-18-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Old 09-18-2013, 03:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Administrator

great news Christy

D
Old 09-18-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Cool, well done Christy. I think I just went to my 60th meeting last night. I believe the key is to try as many different meetings as possible and see which ones resonate with you. Just keep an open mind and listen to the Shares for similarities to your story. AA isn't everyone's cup of tea so don't commit your self to it until you feel comfortable.