Notices

Ready to Quit but...

Old 09-16-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Ready to Quit but...

I know I have to quit drinking. My brothers have done it cold turkey. Is this the way to do so? I am unemployed, single, and very introverted, and the hardest part is the Witching Hour, between 4 and 8. I apply for jobs in the morning but now am finding myself waiting for 4 to come around, which is waiting for the Witching Hour. I'm drinking a beer while I'm writing this. Thanks
Old 09-16-2013, 03:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! Going cold turkey is not recommended as alcohol detox can be dangerous. Can you go to your doctor and ask for medical help? Sometimes meds can be given that will make the withdrawal safer and more comfortable.

Here are some of our experiences in quitting. Take a look.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...at-we-did.html
Old 09-16-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Bluemax. I think you'll find it very helpful to be here - the suggestions & support I got by joining were amazing. You're among people who understand what you're going through.

I see that you're unemployed - so seeing a doctor might not be an option - but it really is the safest way to stop, as Least said. I'm glad you see what drinking is doing to your life and that you want to be free of it. We're all rooting for you.
Old 09-16-2013, 03:59 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Sounds as if your life is being limited to 4 hours a day.
Cold turkey is hard with booze; never know when the next crash may occur.
Alcohol only gives limited help to introversion.....at a huge cost.
Suggest you hang about S.R. and maybe find an outside support group.
Good luck....."the longest journey starts with the first step"
Old 09-16-2013, 04:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome bluemax

Personally I think seeking support - not only seeing a Dr, but finding the right support to stay sober, is a better way than cold turkey.

There are a lot of free or low cost clinics around - if there's one in your local area you might get some medical advice there?

Free/Low-Cost/Sliding-Scale Clinics
The 10377 clinics in this database are free, low cost, low cost with a sliding scale based on income, or offer some type of financial assistance.
2-1-1 Call Center Search

2-1-1 provides free and confidential information and referral. Call 2-1-1 for help with food, housing, employment, health care, counseling and more. Learn more about your local 2-1-1 by looking it up here.
in any case, I know you'll find support and ideas here
Old 09-16-2013, 04:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you Murcovski. You're exactly right, a 4 hour period. Will do my best to continue with SR. Thanks
Old 09-16-2013, 04:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Perpetual Optimist

I am unemployed also, and have found that going to an AA meeting by my house every day (for the past four days) has helped immensely! Going reminds me of why I decided to quit. Listening to others' stories have taught me a great deal about my addiction and what I am going through. Maybe go with a brother to a meeting? You can't do it alone. I know I can't! I need someone around to counter the addict voice in my head.
Old 09-16-2013, 05:01 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi Bluemax and welcome to SR,

The best thing about sobriety is the freedom it gives you to get on with your life. Sounds like your life is on hold and you have decided to do something about it, good for you.

Keep reading and posting
CaiHong