Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

7 yr. addiction to prescription stimulants............Please any support/advice/info.

Notices

7 yr. addiction to prescription stimulants............Please any support/advice/info.

Old 09-15-2013, 05:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation 7 yr. addiction to prescription stimulants............Please any support/advice/info.

Hello All,
I am a new member here my name is Jordan and this is my first post so please go easy on me. I have am dual diagnosed with depression, anxiety, and prescription stimulant addiction. I have received and still am receiving very thorough and comprehensive help with my therapist and psychiatrist. However, I have never addressed until recently my almost 7 yr. addiction to prescription stimulants which have been prescribed to me off label for depression. First I was started on Ritalin and was taken off that when it was discovered how badly I was abusing it and so they switched me to Provigil which to me is as good as Ritalin was. Don't get me wrong I know its the answer for alot of people with sleep disorders and isn't as dangerous as say Ritalin but for me I was surprised how quickly I felt a euphoria like I did with Ritalin and it immediately activated that addictive part in my brain that loves stimulants and here I am 5yrs. later hooked on Provigil I am on 400mg. daily and I always consume a months worth in 2 wks. easy right now I have slept in 2 days and my mood/emotions are insane. I plan on attending an intensive outpatient program in October. But please as sad as this sounds someone tell me I am not alone with this experience with addiction to Provigil cause I feel like a wimp loser cause it isn't anything hard core like coke or heroin , etc. who I am I to complain about Provigil which most people do just fine on. Its so hard to be 1. An addict fighting this alone (not outside family support) and 2. To be addicted to a drug that most people don't have any problems with..........PLEASE SOMEONE ANYONE HELP
Old 09-15-2013, 05:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey Jordan, well most of the people here were addicted to alcohol... how wimpy must we feel..? A substance that most people use often without any problems..

I really think the substance doesn't matter, it is the addiction which is causing the problem. Different people react differently to different things. My sister is lactose intolerance but she doesn't feel like a wimp cos she can't handle milk

Maybe the best place to start would be to be honest about your addiction to your psychiatrist. Are you seeing them because of your anxiety issues? It will be difficult to overcome this while in active addiction.

Have you considered any additional support, like NA?

Welcome to SR