Notices

A little sunlight

Old 09-14-2013, 11:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A little sunlight

Yesterday sucked. The day before sucked. I was so good for 75 days, thinking everything was going to stay the same (not that they were all easy...).

And today, I went out to the state park behind my house and thought. Today doesn't feel any better. I'm sick, frustrated, tired, ineffectual, I feel foolish and like a pariah after some negativity over my lack of drinking at a neighborhood gathering last night. I'm sick of it all.

And somehow, I stood with those thoughts. Letting them be. Completely non-judgemental. It was that moment that I realized I don't have to hold onto these feelings. I don't need alcohol to send them away. I can choose to put them on a shelf in my mind and look at them later if I feel overwhelmed now. Nothing has changed - I didn't drink. I'm not comfortable in my skin, but I don't have to drink that away or dwell in it either. I can put some feelings aside - not push them down - just put them aside for a time when I'm more ready to deal with them, slowly and methodically. And for now, search out a little sunlight in my mind.
Old 09-14-2013, 11:23 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes,that's huge!

I felt like I was a victim of my emotions for years and years. It was amazing to finally understand that they were just feelings. They weren't 'me' and they didn't control me. Good for you!