Notices

Curious Annoyance...

Old 09-13-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Curious Annoyance...

So I have been sober 41/2 months. I listen to country music a lot, and there is this one song out that I just hate to hear: it's called "drinks after work" by Toby Keith. Every time it comes on I have to change it.

What's odd is, there are plenty of other "drinking songs" out there, and they don't bother me at all...just this one.

I have been wondering why..and the only thing I can think of is for the past couple of years I would stop off on my way home from work every day...when I should have been going home to my family. One of the lines is "tell me what's it gonna hurt...drinks after work".

Maybe it's a painful reminder to me how much it really did hurt?

Anyway...just my random observance this week.

Hope everyone is doing good tonight.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Im a country music fan too, and that song definitely rubs me the wrong way. Everyone always thinks "oh whats a couple drinks after work gonna hurt?" Bur it does hurt us..because we are alcoholics and can never have just one or two.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:09 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah...like I said, other boozy songs don't have that effect on me, but that one...the lyrics remind me of those early days of my alcoholism when I was still in denial and ever trying to justify my drinking.

Not a pleasant reminder. But...somehow it's part of the journey I guess, because every time I stumble upon these reminders/realizations, I feel it helps me.

Glad I'm not the only one :-)