Notices

Knock some sense into me!

Old 09-13-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Knock some sense into me!

Okay, I am here to do things different. I looked at my husband's frosty beer bottle, a nice Harpoon IPA, and wanted one. Fixed myself a seltzer with lemon and am nursing it.

Then, I got news on some blood work I had done this morning. My doc sent me a message at 6:30(!) to let me know it was good, and I had improved my cholesterol, a major feat for me. But I do not have the numbers. But still nice she sent me a note. They will post later on my record for me to see.

All great stuff, and all because I have worked hard for the past month to change my diet, and for 2 weeks to stop drinking.

So, now I am going crazy thinking about a cold beer to celebrate my good news and hard work! This is how it goes.

I will resist. I will, but help me here. It will make it easier. I will delay and celebrate by indulging in the chips and cake tomorrow for my daughter's birthday party.

It is helping me to think about alcohol simply not being on my new diet. This is a dietary change, not a fad diet, BTW. So, I am trying to refocus on that and just keep busy. Normally I would slink away and have the beer. So let me have it.

The beast is whispering moderation in my ear.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Rochele, DON'T DRINK!
Does that help? It's only natural for an alcoholoc to respond to every good or bad thing by wanting a drink. That will fade with time. Don't mess up what you've worked hard for. Congratulations on two weeks. That is awesome. You don't want to go back today 1 again, do you? Oh moderation. You are seeing it for what it is--a lie, an impossibility for us, a way for alcohol to get us back. You're doing great. Ignore the evil beast!
Old 09-13-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Rochele...sorry you are having a rough bit now, it will pass. Surprisingly they always do.

I think people that can drink in moderation don't have a beast! I applaud your efforts at being here and posting, that is taking an active approach to putting that beast in it's place. Being here reminds me that I am not alone.

Congrats on your blood work, nice to see the results of your efforts!!!
Old 09-13-2013, 05:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Rochele. NO

No. No. No. It's a trick. I have felt like crap all day long because of my slip last night!! Head hurts, stomach upset, tired, listless, ack!!!!m got nothing done.

You have a party tomorrow. You want to feel good!!!!

No don't do it!

Old 09-13-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since September 7, 2013

DONT DO IT! You know where that road will lead. It starts with one then two. Tomorrow 3-4, before long you are I that down ward spiral and have to start all over again. 2 weeks is awesome. You inspire me! Today is my 6th day and I will be proud when I can say 2 weeks. You are strong! You can do it!
Old 09-13-2013, 05:33 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

A little diluted poison with hops is hardly a reward for your fine efforts Rochele. You are doing awesome. Posting here rather than giving in to an addictive urge is AWESOME! Look at you building sobriety muscle. The urge will pass and you will still be sober!
Old 09-13-2013, 05:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
quat

Which will feel better, sticking to one beer tonight waking up tomorrow with the knowledge that you gave in,OR kicking the stupid beast in the a&& and not letting it have even one measly beer,Ipa or not??

I vote for some a s kickin you got this girl!!!
Old 09-13-2013, 05:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi rochelle, I had to change my thinking. Instead of a drink as a reward, it became sobriety as the reward. Very best wishes to you.
Old 09-13-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Awesome stuff, guys, thank you!

Feeling better already!

To be clear, I had 8 days, slipped last Saturday, and now here at 6 days. But in terms of my blood work, the 8 plus 6 surely has a cumulative effect. So, I am on day 6, but only had one bad day in two weeks. And no more! So, for me, getting through the weekend is critical. It is where I always fail first.

Raider, sorry you feel like crap. We are in this together this weekend, right?

Nudawn, I love your description, "diluted poison with hops." So true. so true.

Thanks everyone.
Old 09-13-2013, 06:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Rochele - good job. Yes we are in it together. Yes we are in it to win it!
Old 09-13-2013, 08:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 6! Sorry thought it was two weeks but no worries day six is still awesome and soon it will be two weeks!
Old 09-24-2013, 08:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thinking of you hun xxxxxx
Old 09-24-2013, 08:31 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Celebrating good health news by drinking. makes as much sense as winning the lottery and celebrating by setting the money on fire.
Old 09-24-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Well done Rochel for resisting. There are so many other ways you can reward yourself, just got to get out of the mindset that alcohol is how we do it. Enjoy your daughter's party, without a hangover!
Old 09-24-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Alcoholism......the drug you want down and when your up. Focus on keeping your mood stable and rationale. You got great news from the results of what your doing......don't turn back. Heck, go to the movies or for a walk......good job
Old 09-24-2013, 09:27 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Raider View Post

No. No. No. It's a trick. I have felt like crap all day long because of my slip last night!! Head hurts, stomach upset, tired, listless, ack!!!!m got nothing done.

You have a party tomorrow. You want to feel good!!!!

No don't do it!

Exactly..really agree with Raider. I feel pretty hopeless after drinking yesterday. I am aiming for 2weeks, so I can get past the worst. Please don't give in. You have been strong to get that sober time. Keep going!
Old 09-24-2013, 09:31 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Sorry Rochele. My mistake..you have 6 days. Great, keep going.
Old 09-24-2013, 09:41 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

For me,it was about changing my mindset so not using alcohol as a reward or celebration. Now I celebrate with a purchase of a new book,spa treatment etc -something I enjoy and can really benefit from
Old 09-24-2013, 01:13 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Well, I did resist and that was over a week ago!

On day 17 now, not 6! Somehow this got bumped today!

You guys are a great suppot and I stayed strong that night.
Old 09-24-2013, 01:15 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
quat

that's what I voted for! great on 17!