Notices

Doing good so far but I have a question about meetings

Old 09-12-2013, 07:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
True strength lies within

Doing good so far but I have a question about meetings

I am new to recovery ,, ( that is new to thinking i can do this on my own, which i know now after a hundred attempts that i cant.) . new as in 5 days sober, have a counsellor i will meet with once a week, and have gone through the first chapter of "Gentle Path,, through the Twelve Steps ( alot of self discovery going on there ) anyways. I know i "should be going to meetings" the thing is , i dont feel "ready" to go. Im making progress ,, so to speak, but i almost feel guilty or im failing somehow because i havnt made an effort. I have been very busy,, keeping my mind off the obvious, going to the gym, eating good, bike rides , and reflecting. Tomorrow i have a hour long course about relapse prevention, i feel i am making some good gains. When did any of you hit your first meetin
Old 09-12-2013, 08:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

For some, the road starts at a meeting. I started right away.

If you are pursuing 12 step recovery, meetings a great place to hear how others did it... Awesome on the 5 days!
Old 09-12-2013, 08:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me meetings was/is the only way. I stayed two years sober with meetings and now I am going back. I started with ladies meetings as its easier to share and relate and sometimes not so intimidating than at mixed meetings. I do go to mixed meetings but still enjoy my ladies ones more. For me personally I think the 12 steps is a wonderful way of life - whether an addict/alcoholic or not! It is a great fellowship of people who we can "relate" to cause they have all been there and I personally have met some wonderful friends in the program. When I went back recently after a year and a half relapse there were still ladies there who I was friends with and we have re-connected and its been amazing. I was for the most part an alone drinker so very isolated and making friends again has been great.

Good luck to you. Don't be scared.

Peace
Melbell
Old 09-12-2013, 08:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

The day I got home from rehab I was so scared. I didn't know what I was going to do with the rest of my life.
I went to a meeting that afternoon.
I started going to meetings regularly after that and they helped get some balance and continuity in my early recovery.
I haven't been in a long while, but I will go on occasion if the mood strikes me. A room full of like minded souls is comforting.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
True strength lies within

Thanks Mark75 and Melbell ( kinda like Maribell lol) yes i do intend on going to meetings, and yes there is a womens meeting 5 blocks from my house every Thursday. I have been to meeting before , one , was huge,, i cried through the whole thing, very emotional, but i did not get too much out of it. I went to a few NA meeting, which were a little scary as well, ( went with a recovering addict who i went to school with. My third meeting, i was re united with some people whom i used to work with ( small small world) . My counsellor said i could go to a ton of meeting before i find the right fit. So im determined to try. But like the book im reading says, i need to find balance. I am moving on and not letting my recovery consume my every thought and moment. I know im ok, ive reached out to my higher power, and i truly say, i do feel safe. This site alone i receive so much support, im so very thankful for that.
Old 09-12-2013, 08:48 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Keep reading, keep looking, keep asking questions, keep learning. And like your avatar says, true strength lies within. Believe in yourself and that you deserve a life without alcohol, and you will make it just fine.

Onward!
Old 09-12-2013, 08:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Maribell - I almost went to a meeting on Day 9, but I chickened out right outside of the meeting room, lol. Went back on Day 16. Loved the group. I found out they actually meet every weekday not just on Fridays, so I've gone every day this week and plan to go tomorrow as well. I never, never thought I would go to AA meetings, let alone one every day which just seemed crazy. I won't be able to keep that schedule up with work, but it has been a life saver for me. . . . I found the perfect, healthy, medium-sized group on my first try. Most people sample different groups. But since it took me two tries to get into that room, I feel very blessed to score gold on my first visit
Old 09-12-2013, 09:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
SR Fan

Congrats on your 5 days and welcome to SR!

It sounds like you're doing a lot for your recovery, which is great. You don't say why you feel that you're "not ready" to go to meetings.... maybe answering that question will help you sort through some things(?)
Old 09-13-2013, 05:05 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No half measures

Without AA I would not be sober today. AA is one more soldier in your army and the bigger the army the more likely you will win.