Notices

Interested in your thoughts about sugar..

Old 09-12-2013, 10:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Interested in your thoughts about sugar..

Eaten a lot today with one thing and another. I bought a box of flapjacks (here in the UK these are a kind of cooky made from oats held together basically by sugar syrup!)..very sugary, and ate the lot - the pig I am!

It is evening now and I will be off to an AA meeting shortly, but it may be just as well. All that sugar seems to have set up a bout of craving for alcohol. It isn't serious and I certainly won't give in to it, but I have noticed this before. On days I eat rather more sensibly, including salad and fruit I don't seem to get the desire for that 'something else'..for which read 'booze'.

Anyone else noticed this or is it just me?
Old 09-12-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It seems that all the alcohol and sugar contained within sets us up for processing sugar differently.

I am struggling with sugar now, because I crave it, but it triggers anxiety and big energy/mood swings.

Sugar in fruits/vegetables gives me a similar boost with less crash.

Ice cream and cake, not good.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I crave sugar now I've quit drinking.

there is no moderation for me.the more I have the more I want.The only way is to cut it out totally,except natural fruit sugar. There is a thread in the fitness,health and nutrition section which you may findhelpful-plus ahealthy eating thread with great tips
Old 09-12-2013, 11:06 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Go for fruit. It contains sugar as well and is a whole lot healthier!
Old 09-12-2013, 11:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I never wanted sweets when I was drinking. Now I do. Not in great amounts but still alot more than nil. Today I had three small pieces of cake, in the late morning, in the afternoon and after dinner. It's an old childhood dream come true... LOL
Old 09-12-2013, 11:10 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

As a diabetic, I have learned a lot about sugar and carb cravings. For me, having carbs and sugar set me up also craving alcohol. It is all part of a bigger craving thing I have, or perhaps I have a carb addiction, not a simple alcohol addiction.

So, I am avoiding the carby and sweet foods even though my condition can tolerate some. I find if I have too much it makes me want more of the sweets and I feel deprived, etc...yesterday, I even found the artificially sweetened pudding I made with greek yogurt and milk set me off for wanting more of it. More sweet taste.

Day to day, I try to manage sweet cravings by having a diet very low in sugar and carbs, each meal has some protein and fat. And I do not miss meals.

If I get into the kids chips, ugh! All I want is more. It haunts me much like wanting a glass of wine does!
Old 09-12-2013, 12:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know its a bit mad but the Gillian mckeith thing says it all, you drink, so next day you crave stodge food keeping up the estrogen (alcohol increases estrogen = more carbs to feed the sugar monster) I have never eaten sweet stuff I mean ever I don't like sugar at all but changed from scotch to wine a few years back and have never craved so much sugar or carbs in my life I eat so much its unreal when I drink but they also say that craving so much sugar can be a bad ole yeast prob from too much alcohol and feeding yeast is not good.....cant tell you what I eat after a major binge but im heads above you lol and about £40 a month lighter because of it basically it's the sugar rush your feeding, when you quit your body is so used to it that it needs it, after a few weeks it'll settle down but for now sugar still feeds your craving, it's missing so many calories has to get them fro somewhere :-)
Old 09-12-2013, 12:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

processed sugar is the "cocaine" of the food industry.
especially the type found in most grocery store products.

there is a huge difference between fructose and sucrose.

changing your approach to eating and nutrition has been a HUGE part of my recovery. (not to mention drastically improved health).