Notices

Addict Brother Help

Old 09-09-2013, 06:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Addict Brother Help

I will try to keep this as short as possible since i could really talk about it for days (bah). Basically I am just trying to seek out some insight and help from siblings of addicts or recovered addicts with siblings. My younger brother (he turned 26 yesterday) has been an opiate addict, xanax abuser and alcoholic for about 6 years now. He has been to rehab voluntarily and against his will about 5 times and has overdosed (to the point of being on life support) 3 times. My parents try to keep their lives together and looking normal but continue to fully support him financially and emotionally. I watch him destroy them and himself and i feel totally helpless. I wont go over everything he has done but how do i find a balance between supporting my parents and severing my relationship with him? My worry for him has started to affect my life more than it should and i am beginning to resent my parents which i hate doing. How do i detach without feeling guilty? I think he will have to hurt someone else or end up dead before this stops. Any input is appreciated.
Old 09-09-2013, 06:56 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. I've been through the want to help part with many alcoholics for many years and the bottom line is they need to want to get sober for themselves as well as being honest about their addiction. Unfortunately we can't get anyone sober or drunk. I'd suggest he read these forums and he MAY see peoples progress with sobriety. For you and your parents I'd suggest Al Anon and /or read the forum "friends and families of alcoholics" within SR. BE WELL