Made it through first family event with AB

Old 09-09-2013, 04:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Made it through first family event with AB

Yesterday we had a big celebratory family event, the first since my AB was removed from his home due to a drunken rage almost a year ago.
He has been traveling a difficult road on his recovery journey and has had some pretty hard knock falls off the wagon in the past year and his most recent "slip up" (that is what he refers to them as) was about a week ago and this was certainly wagging the "tongue tails" of the family as to how this most recent fall for him was going to affect the event and who would come and who wouldn't come.
Almost everyone attended even his two children and for the few hours we were together everyone seemed to set aside their disdain, dislike, disgust (whatever their words might be to describe how they may feel) for how his life has brought him to now and simply enjoyed and celebrated the guest of honor at the occasion. It was like a vacation from the drama of alcoholism!
I am quite proud of my family particularly because a year ago today we lost a young member of our family to a drunk driver which was a stress point that led to my AB being removed from his home. Emotions could have run very high and perhaps rampantly, fueling how we might engage with AB but they did not and so I am grateful that we could come together respectfully... kindly and for those few hours feel like a whole, healthy family again.

"Life is a field of infinite possibilities and an opportunity to evolve in the direction of truthfulness, beauty and harmony."