Notices

Numb the Discomfort

Old 09-06-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Numb the Discomfort

Dont know where to start, but I am realizing now with my husband that he has got to the point of his cocaine use where he uses it to numb any type of uncomfortable emotion, to make him feel capable.

He voluntarily went to see an addiction doctor last week. I had been going to see him on my own for a while, and he asked if he could come. Of course, I was happy and it went good.

The next day his use of coke got worse, and he is all over the place with emotions. He has calmed down with it again and we talked and he said the session made all these feelings come out, particularly when the doctor asked him if he is being the man he wants to be.

Yesterday he had an appointment to begin evaluation and come up with a plan, and the doctor told him to think long and hard, decide if he is ready and go into it saying there is no turning back.

I am afraid he will go on another binge. he was ok last night, but Friday nights were his kick off using nights in the past.

From experience, is there anything I can do to help comfort him, ease his mind, fears. I love him, Im committed on staying with him as long as he will try to get help. We have a baby on the way, our first. Im doing the supportive thing as well as I can, Im balancing it with my own emotional needs and so far Im keeping stress low. Its got better for me since I started working with the doctor as he helped me learn, has taught me a lot.

Thanks for any ideas.
Old 09-06-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

You might want to check out AlAnon as a support for yourself.

Also we have two forums on this board for Friends and Families.