Notices

First time-getting sober

Old 09-04-2013, 10:49 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First time-getting sober

Hello,

As I am writing this I'm scared of losing everything I have. I didn't drink for years but over the last 6 months I can't even wake up and go to the bathroom without a drink. I drink while doing everything, even working. At first it was alright, could control it. But now more and more people are noticing I smell like vodka and if I don't stop something bad will happen.

I've said this to myself many times before-once this bottle is gone, I'm done. But as we all know, it never happens. I'm blessed that I haven't done anything stupid yet while buzzed and I don't want to.

I have off tomorrow and I've chosen that as my date to get clean once and for all. I've tried before but horrible anxiety and the shakes.

Anyone have any advice on day 1?
Old 09-04-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

to SR! Can you see your doctor for help in detoxing? A medically supervised detox is recommended for safety as alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous. At the very least do you have anyone who could stay with you for a few days to call the ER if you get bad off?

I'm glad you've chosen to stop drinking. I think you'll find that a sober life is a very rewarding life. I don't miss drinking at all.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:54 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

No insurance...I honestly don't think it's so bad that I would have seizures or anything. I've only been hard drinking for 6-8 months now. I'm thinking of taking 2-3 days off just to lay in bed and deal with the anxiety and shakes
Old 09-04-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Also, I see you a bon-a-fide dog lover. I too lover animals, except mine don't want to be near me when I'm drunk
Old 09-04-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hello and Welcome to SR.

You may want to seek a Doctors advice, there may be something he can do for you to help with anxiety and tremors.

Aside from that, stay close to this site, I spent my first few days checking in and reading posts for hours at a time.
Check out the Class of September 2013 thread. There you will meet people who may be going through the same situation you are in.

Good Luck and Be Strong!
Old 09-04-2013, 10:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, Tim! The only advice I can give you for day 1 is to read and post as much as you can on these forums. I can't tell you how comforting it was to me to find out I was not alone. ****{hugs}}}
Old 09-04-2013, 10:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the advice. It's going to be hard but I know I can do it. Getting sick of bringing spiked Gatorade to work and everyone asking me why I just don't drink the soda there. Time for a new beginning.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi and hang on. In ancient times before the mouse or even the PC I got in touch with AA and went to meetings and hung out with people trying to get/stay sober. I still like the flesh meetings though this site is excellent for in between times. One thing we had to do is be honest with ourselves about our drinking as eventually a voice in our head tries to convince us it 's OK to drink. Next is not picking up the first drink so we don't have to try to get sober AGAIN. When we succeed at that life will be getting better. BE WELL
Old 09-04-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I remember last September going to the bar with my sister and leaving around 9, offering her a ride home. She declined, I woke up at 1am from a police officer asking me to have her released into my custody, suspicion of DUI. I drove her to her court dates and she ended up getting reckless driving, 11 points. How many of you had a DUI to set you awaken you?
Old 09-04-2013, 11:31 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome! I agree with suggestions to stay close to SR. Read as many threads as you can. Write. Keep us posted on your progress. Congratulations on your decision.

Originally Posted by timswells3905 View Post
Also, I see you a bon-a-fide dog lover. I too lover animals, except mine don't want to be near me when I'm drunk
When those with unconditional love can't stand the way you smell, you're right, it's time
Old 09-04-2013, 11:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Have you checked out the AVRT threads in the Secular forum? There are lots of people on here who were helped via AA - for me it was AVRT/Rational Recovery et al + this site.

Welcome.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:49 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Timswells, lots of support and advice here.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Nothing Left to do but Smile.

Do you have any form of a support system in place for when you quit? This is a good place to start, but quitting alcohol isn't easy. Also, are you committing to never have a drink again? For most of us, that is what it takes. Drinking even one drink can throw us right back into the fire.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I do have a recovery system in place; i.e. very close family. As to ever having another drink again IDK. To be honest I had a painkiller addiction when I was younger and kicked that 5-6 years ago and I've had some dental surgeries earlier this year. I was prescribed the strong percocets and took them no problem without jonesing for more.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I've kicked a strong addiction before and was able to take the same substances again in a medical context without relapsing. Whether this applies to me having a drink a few years down I don't know.
Old 09-06-2013, 11:26 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR!
Old 09-06-2013, 01:44 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Kza

Get used to it because it will be your first time over and over again