Notices

Learning social skills and... skills.

Old 09-02-2013, 10:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Learning social skills and... skills.

Hi folks. I have 72 days sober today and things have certainly improved steadily in an all-round way. It may seem on some days as if you're stuck but then realize additional benefits to the sobriety.

The maybe most annoying two parts of recovery for me have been that short-term memory loss (which is pretty annoying at certain times when you want to concentrate) and amotivational feelings (this means not feeling like doing anything, it is strange to describe imo).

Anyway... I have a new job and it is something rather challenging for me. For the first time in my life I'm learning to do customer service. These services include explaining and seeking/fixing errors on a pretty wide subject. So instead of running away to the bottle, I find this an excellent opportunity to face reality and finally learn new skills, be it mental or physical.

It is basically the way that when I was drinking, I was often dreaming about doing all kinds of things, well not exactly a too wide a pack, but various skills which I've always loved and wanted to be damned good at. Now it is becoming possible to get into practising those skills in-depth. It just takes some work and courage to get started, then it takes patience to stick to them and not give up those things.

What skills have you learned, tuned, improved, are learning or are going to learn in sobriety?
Old 09-02-2013, 01:09 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great question, UnixBer. This is something I hadn't really thought and you got me thinking...I have to learn how to process uncomfortable emotions better. I was numbing myself by drinking and I can't numb anymore. A work in process, I guess...

June
Old 09-02-2013, 01:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I'm glad to hear you're doing well, and good luck with your new job.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

I've learned how to drop resentments , i've learned patience , i've become a bit more modest , I've become financially responcible , I've become comfortable in my life , i'm dependable . I've learned how to accept things that arn't to my tastes or will .

I'm sure there are more ...

Bestwishes, m