Notices

7 days and starting to have bad thoughts

Old 08-31-2013, 11:35 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

7 days and starting to have bad thoughts

So Iīm nearly one week sober and feeling great. But am finding myself having these bad "moderation-thoughts". As for example, boyfriend called and said that he is thinking we might go to dinner and have a glass of wine. I told him earlier that I want to quit drinking but apparently he thought I just want to quit excess drinking and that ONE glass canīt hurt. I will have to talk to him when we meet tomorrow..
And as always when I quit, a few days pass and I start believing my problem isnīt that bad, perhaps that one glass couldnīt hurt? But I go back to my first post here, and that motivates me to NOT have that one glass. And before I always was scared of the concept of forever, now I am thinking, well, whatever happends, at least today I will not drink, and am making plans how to avoid that wineglass at dinner tomorrow. I really donīt feel like drinking.
And signed up for another joggingevent with a friend next Saturday, it is the perfect "excuse" not to drink.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I agree with you.

I think it is easier to make a clear cut, than tasting a class of wine from time to time – it would at least for me.

Jogging events are a great “excuse”.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:04 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
instant

Temptation is something that I learned to live with. I found it helped to acknowledge that there will always be an "addictive part" of my personality.

If you have not read about AVRT and Rational Recovery you might find it helpful.

Others on here commonly find "playing the tape through" helpful

I tried short breaks, fitness kicks and various types of "moderation" management- in the end nothing worked for me long term and even when it did it was all just hard work.

Being sober is easier in the end
Old 09-01-2013, 12:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Victoria74 View Post
So Iīm nearly one week sober and feeling great. But am finding myself having these bad "moderation-thoughts". As for example, boyfriend called and said that he is thinking we might go to dinner and have a glass of wine. I told him earlier that I want to quit drinking but apparently he thought I just want to quit excess drinking and that ONE glass canīt hurt. I will have to talk to him when we meet tomorrow..
And as always when I quit, a few days pass and I start believing my problem isnīt that bad, perhaps that one glass couldnīt hurt? But I go back to my first post here, and that motivates me to NOT have that one glass. And before I always was scared of the concept of forever, now I am thinking, well, whatever happends, at least today I will not drink, and am making plans how to avoid that wineglass at dinner tomorrow. I really donīt feel like drinking.
And signed up for another joggingevent with a friend next Saturday, it is the perfect "excuse" not to drink.
Good decision. I've said "one drink or 2 drinks tonight" before. Worked at first stopped working after a while. Once I start that first 2 drinks my need immediate satisfaction (more drinks) pretty much took over the mind due to the alcohol effects so it's a downward spiral. If you have a boyfriend that doesn't understand this and is encouraging the opposite then it's even more important you don't take that first drink while you can still think clearly.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think everyone has those 'maybe I overreacted, maybe I can have just one' thoughts

I made sure I read and posted here everyday so I have tangible evidence that I was ovvereacting at all...and I made sure I remembered I never had 'just one'.

I used to think of the voice sometimes as my evil twin....the key for me was to stop engaging with that evil twin.

Once I finally and genuinely accepted that drinking and I were were a bad combo, it made sense to me not to listen to 'Evil me' anymore - 'he' dragged me down some pretty disgusting alleyways - 'he' lost his right to input, forever.

You can beat the voice Victoria - just remember anything that tells you drinking is a good idea is a lie.

D
Old 09-01-2013, 02:19 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't give in now. Stay strong, it's worth the effort.
Old 09-01-2013, 02:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
That bell or bike person

For me ... one drink ... hmm well one drink with dinner surely wouldn't hurt would it ... about a month later it was why not two ?

Christmass time ... well seems daft to have this open bottle of wine hanging about may as well finish it before bed ..

about 6 months later .. seem to be drinking a bottle of wine and i'm not that drunk i'd better buy 2 ..

I always come back to the same place on the merry-go-round , except that my health gets worse each time and another few weeks , months or years have gone by achieving nothing ..
Think the drink through .. days .. weeks .. months and years ,

Bestwishes, m
Old 09-01-2013, 03:00 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Victoria, congratulations on Day 7.
I am unable to moderate my drinking, one drink would put me back in the mess I just crawled out of. I get up early and run a couple of miles every morning; when offered a drink I can honestly say "no thanks, I have to run in the morning".
Old 09-01-2013, 03:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

These type of situations will come every once in a while. You need a strategy to avoid drinking in the future.

You can simply say "I don't feel good when I drink". It's easy to explain. You used to like a drink but at one point it makes you feel bad, even if you have a little bit. I can't imagine that the people you're with don't understand that.

And if they ask what happens when you have alcohol, you can say that it makes you feel "dunno, just a bit heavy and tired".
Old 09-01-2013, 03:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I've never had just 1 glass of wine.