Notices

A question about the chills, night sweats

Old 08-27-2013, 12:27 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A question about the chills, night sweats

Thanks everyone, I feel a lot better about tonight. A question for everyone. Last night I got home from my first meeting around 10:00 pm. I talked with my wife for a little bit about the meeting and then she went to bed. i went to our guest bedroom to read a book in bed (that is where I have been sleeping for awhile) because I knew I would not be able to sleep and wanted to keep my mind off other things. I read until about 2:00 am and actually felt really good and once I started to feel drowsy, I put the book down, turned off the light and eventually fell asleep. I had not felt any chills or sweating like I have in the past. It was not until about an hour later that I woke up with the sweating and chills and I pretty much tossed and turned until morning. My question is this: why would I be able to lie in bed reading until 2:00 am and feel pretty good and it was not until about 3:00 am that the sweating and chills stared? Has anyone else experienced this?
Old 08-27-2013, 12:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Withdrawals very from person to person and from one time to another time.
Old 08-27-2013, 12:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Are you on any detox medication?
Old 08-27-2013, 12:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

Maybe because your body was at rest?
Old 08-27-2013, 01:08 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have no clue, but I do experience night sweats but it isn't noticeable until after I have fallen asleep and wake up the next morning. This has been going on for the past 3 weeks. As mentioned it varies from person to person. I thought this would only happen on the weekends, but this has been happening nightly since I quit drinking. When I did drink I never had the night sweats. I figure it is my body still detoxing from all the years of weekend binge drinking...
Old 08-27-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

no i am not any detox medication. I have a Dr. appointment with my general practioner on Thursday, that was the earliest I could get in and I did not want to wait to quit as I went to my first AA meeting last night and there is another one tomorrow night. The chills and sweats were'nt too bad, it felt like I had had a mild case of the flu. Then once I got in the shower under hot water, I felt a little better. I don't know what will happen tonight (#2), but if it was like last night, I feel I can handle it. Just wondering if anyone else has it happen only after they fall asleep.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:22 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My first few weeks were filled with TERRIBLE night sweats, very little sleep at all, conscience dreams and everything in between. Although I have screwed up a couple of times I have been sober for the better part of 30+ days and it's SOOO much better now it's amazing.

I am sleeping better than I have in more than a decade. I get up in the middle of the night occasionally and fall right back to sleep.

Just battle through it and I think everything will be ok.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It seems like 4AM is the worst; you sweat, then the chills set in which wake you up...
Old 08-27-2013, 01:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I've had bad night sweats, but not as bad as when I've had the flu. The worst part for me is almost falling asleep and then your body jerking you awake.