Notices

Advice please?

Old 08-25-2013, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Advice please?

It's my first time on here and I don't even know if I should be. I have a really bad drinking problem, but I don't believe in AA or that I am addicted to alcohol
Old 08-25-2013, 08:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

You have a really bad drinking problem? How is it affecting your life? What's happening?

I personally do not regularly attend AA meetings and I am doing just fine. There are many other options out there, AA is not the only solution. Welcome and I hope you can find a way and a plan to get sober.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

There are many other ways to stop drinking, rather than AA, if you choose. You will definitely have to accept that you are addicted to alcohol if you want to get better.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:25 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

First,

and it's good that even though you're not sure if you do have a problem that you are searching for the answer.

The key questions are what brought you here. bigsombrero asked some good ones. Only you answer those.

Lots of great people here and a wealth of information!
Old 08-25-2013, 08:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BusterB View Post
It's my first time on here and I don't even know if I should be. I have a really bad drinking problem, but I don't believe in AA or that I am addicted to alcohol
Drinking "problem" usually means you do. Keep reading (and posting!)
Old 08-25-2013, 08:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome Buster, lots of good advice and support here. You say you have a "really bad drinking problem" but you dont believe that you are addicted to alcohol. Even if you are not physically addicted if drinking is causing you problems and interfering with your life then it might be best to stop. Have to tried to stop before now?. Be honest with yourself. Wishing you well.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:38 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know I have a problem, but I don't believe in addiction.

I'm just so scared one day, I won't want to stop I'll just keep going unt it ends me
Old 08-25-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Anna I can't accept that I am addicted. I just can't
Old 08-25-2013, 09:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Anna I can't accept that I am addicted. I just can't
Then you should have no problem quitting.

However, if you struggle, maybe you should revise your view on addiction. It's not a moral flaw to fall into dependence on a substance. It happens. So does recovery.

Wish you well on your journey to find a solution to your problem.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Ok Buster,

The word addiction bothers you. That's ok for now.

The fact that you admitted that you have a really bad problem is a start. Let's start there...

What is preventing you from stopping?
Do you want to stop?
Old 08-25-2013, 09:29 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

If you have a drink problem you are in the right place. welcome

Are you looking to quit? If so, again, you are in the right place.

there are many ways to recovery -you don't have to use AA. I don't use AA and am 8.5 months sober.Maybe stickaround,read peoples stories,pick up some ideas

If you don't think you're addicted stopping drinking shouldn't be a problem. staying stopped was what got me- it wasn't a physical addiction but more of a lifestyle/mental issue.That wasthe hard part and SR has helped me immensely.

Hope you stick around
Old 08-25-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

I can't accept that I am addicted. I just can't.
Sure you can, but you won't, is what I am hearing. I don't often speak in generalities, but here's one: every path from dependence (or addiction or alcoholism, pick one that fits) starts with acceptance of some sort. AA, AVRT, SMART, LifeRing, BornAgain, they all have this in common.

If your end goal is sobriety, then there must needs be an acceptance that you no longer drink. There is no other way forward for us. Continuing to drink pushes away from you this life that you are longing for, the rich and full existence you deserve.

Are you ready to make your plan about continuing to use alcohol?
Old 08-25-2013, 09:36 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
~sb

Having a physical addiction to alcohol is different than having alcoholism.

I am a person with alcoholism.

Alcoholism isn't about how much or how often I drink.

When I drink, I can't predict how much I will drink. I drink for the effect that alcohol gives me. Alcohol makes me feel okay with the world and within my own skin.

I was not physically addicted to alcohol, but I couldn't live without drinking regularly.
Old 08-25-2013, 09:43 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

If you can't stop doing something, even though you want to stop, that is addiction. What about the term addiction bothers you so much? By the way, welcome, hope you find something helpful here.
Old 08-25-2013, 11:12 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A Smart Bug is a Sober Bug!

You have taken a huge step by creating an account here and posting your own thread. That is great! You have also admitted a problem with drinking. Another big step. These are the rocks on the pathway to recovery. It gets easier to lay those rocks. You can do it!
Old 08-25-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Living and Loving Life at Last

Buster, you don't have to put a title to it today, but you do have to figure how you are best going to stop. I suggest looking at the class of August thread, or the One year and Under thread for plenty of support and advice
Old 08-25-2013, 01:45 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I know I have a problem, but I don't believe in addiction.

I'm just so scared one day, I won't want to stop I'll just keep going unt it ends me
Nope. That is your alcoholic voice talking. Don't listen and get 7 days sobriety. There will be a difference.

don
Old 08-25-2013, 01:53 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
My brain is trying to kill me

Welcome! SR is a great place to begin addressing any issues we may have with substance use. I wish you well in taking care of the recognition you are feeling that alcohol may be a concern in how you function.
In my life I first found that mind altering substance use was fun, then it became fun-with problems, eventually it became problems. Then the denial started, I was different; I could rationalize anything, but denial is nothing except an irrational reaction to the truth. I tried to moderate, I tried to quit for periods of time, tried thousands of times to do both; Complete failure each time. My life was like the movie Groundhog Day, no matter how hard I tried to change, I could not.
When I finally surrendered, admitted the truth and defeat; I won, I did not lose. I was able to accept that I was powerless and my life had become unmanageable and I began to seek a solution.
The ACCEPTANCE began the solution; I was set free from the bondage of substance abuse. Through seeking, finding, and working solutions to my issues I gave myself a new life, freedom, gratitude, love......infinite possibilities.
We can allow ourselves to be burdened by fear, as fear represents the unknown; or we can move out of our comfort zone, yes, our comfort zone involves the substance use; and accept, embrace an opportunity to change things. We become enlightened by our strength, our confidence, the challenge, of the freedom WE create for ourselves.
Be it recovery programs, semantics, spirituality, or others; to label something before we have even examined it, is evidence of the fear we are allowing to cheat us from a life we deserve.
Acceptance is the solution to our problems.

Take Care, and Keep Coming Back! You're worth it!
Old 08-25-2013, 02:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Drinking is such a small part of life. My granddaughter had an addition to sugar; that led to a diabetes problem. She had taken it with grace and I applaud her for it.

Ours is "alcohol". More easily solvable by NOT drinking. Let's do it.
Old 08-25-2013, 03:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Buster, if you keep drinking and are scared you won't be able to quit in the future---you're right--you won't be able to quit very easily and may need medical detox cuz alcoholism is a progressive disease. But if you quit now while you still have just a "problem" per se, then it should be easy for you to quit. Make sense?