Notices

Fight or Surrender?

Old 08-19-2013, 03:24 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Fight or Surrender?

I seem to be a champion at being a loser. Since April I have been thru 3 detoxes and 2 rehabs. I don't think I have 20 days at home in the last 4 months. Yet I find myself here again....

I don't know if I should go back to detox or try it on my own. I am scared to do it on my own, but all these high priced detoxs and rehabs haven't seemed to helped.

Wonder if I just need to pack a lunch and spend the whole day at the AA center. Maybe those old drunks have the key that all the fancy hospitals and detoxs haven't been able to teach me? I have tried meetings I just fail at the whole HP but I need some help. Just not sure where to turn....
Old 08-19-2013, 03:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Whatever you do please fight it and don't surrender. Don't know what to suggest as I've not been to hospital or detoxs. Good luck and stay strong
Old 08-19-2013, 03:34 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Self recovered Self discovered

Did you ever have a toxic relationship with a person of your preferred sex? And the day came when you decided to stop fighting her, and that you would never surrender to her, but you just cut her loose? Forever? Nothing could ever happen, nothing she could ever say, would ever make you take her back? That she had lied to you, cheated on you, stole from you, and made you look like a fool in front of your friends and family, all for the last time? And you did it?

Do it like that.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi There is a thread about Higher Power that might be of value to you, on this page. Regarding hanging out at an AA hall is a fine idea.It's a place that understands us and seeing the eyes of another alcoholic is so rewarding. It took me awhile to surrender to my Booze fight. the aftermath has been beyond my wilest dreams. How I enjoy being in my own skin as compared to before is priceless. Hang on and don't let words like higher power scare you please. Maybe just believe we believe.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by freshstart57 View Post
Did you ever have a toxic relationship with a person of your preferred sex? And the day came when you decided to stop fighting her, and that you would never surrender to her, but you just cut her loose? Forever? Nothing could ever happen, nothing she could ever say, would ever make you take her back? That she had lied to you, cheated on you, stole from you, and made you look like a fool in front of your friends and family, all for the last time? And you did it?

Do it like that.
Insightful words. Thanks.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by IOAA2 View Post
I only drank on special occasions, like the grand opening of a pack of cigarettes.

Walking around drunk is like walking around with your fly open. Everyone sees it except you.
WOW those made me laugh even though I was feeling pretty crappy. Both apply to me.

Thanks for your words of advice they are meaningful to me.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yea, surrender... cut her loose.

Lots of paradoxes in recovery. But one concept is not ... Moderation doesn't work too well... Moderation is staying and fighting, or not cutting her loose. Just quit drinking... whatever words you need to use to conceptualize it.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Just seems to be getting worse by the day.

The first time I went thru detox and rehab I think I lasted 2 weeks. Felt so great I had to celebrate my new lifestyle.

The second time I went thru detox and rehab I think I lasted 1 week.

Last time I literally stopped at the liquor store on the way home from detox.

If it didn't feel so bad it would literally be funny.
Old 08-19-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No half measures

If you do what those old drunks do chances are u will stay sober