Notices

Day 17

Old 08-19-2013, 01:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 17

Just checking in, day 17 for me and I feel pretty darn good. I'm actually sleeping for the first time in a couple of years. This past weekend I went to bed around 10pm and woke up feeling refreshed at 6am, only waking up once during the night to use the bathroom. That was unheard of during my drinking phase. I'm getting so much done during the days it is amazing. And actually spending quality time with my family instead of just zoning out and throwing back beers.

Still though, all that said I feel this sense of fear and anxiety....quietly, like a small voice telling me that feeling this good cannot last forever. I'm concerned about relapse and I think that is where I should focus my energy, on a good relapse prevention plan. Case in point, I'm going to a get together at a good friend's house on Friday. She drinks and I'm not sure if there will be alcohol there or not. I told her I stopped drinking but didn't ask about that. I really want to be able to socialize and stop isolating myself like I did while I was drinking. But literally everyone single friend I have here in WA drinks, at least socially.

Any good advice for relapse prevention and how to have a social life while staying sober?
Old 08-19-2013, 01:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi, Buddha! Congrats at 17 days sober; that's fantastic! I have no advice to offer you about relapse prevention while in social situations (I'm just not that social!).
Old 08-19-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had that feeling too - like I couldn't maintain this feeling of well being and that sooner or later I'd be somehow 'ambushed' by my addiction and I'd drink again.

It's simply not true - on all counts

you're in control - if you don't want to relapse and you're prepared to do all the work required to stay sober, you be ok.

Work like making tough decisions....

like thinking about upcoming social engagements where you think there may be alcohol, where you feel a bit vulnerable and shakey already...

check to see if there will be alcohol (sounds like you and I know there will be)
do you really need to be there....?

there's plenty of time to get back into the social swing...I made my recovery my priority tho in the early days...and I'm glad I did that.

D
Old 08-19-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Very solid point Dee. However, one of the reasons I drank was because I was lonely. My husband is gone a lot for his job and I don't have many friends here (we've been stationed here about 2 years) so the only regular social interaction I get is through work 3 days per week. My husband is going to be gone for the next couple of weeks and I know it is important for me to not isolate and to get myself "out there" as much as possible.

Social invitations do not come my way very often, maybe a few times per month. Knowing myself as I do, I'm more likely to be triggered by staying home and feeling isolated than if I go to a gathering at a friend's house where there may be alcohol....do I want to be around people drinking? No. But I also don't want to be lonely. It's not an easy decision for me....maybe I should just have an honest conversation with my friend about my situation. I told her I quit drinking but I didn't discuss that it might be uncomfortable for me to be around it.