Notices

First day for me!

Old 08-18-2013, 05:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

First day for me!

Hello!
I'm new to all of this and frankly I'm just tired of doing the same thing over and over. I feel like it is time to give it up. Trying to come up with a more positive solution for my stresses, fear, and all the other excuses that lead me to drink. A huge one is using it to ease my social anxiety. There is a birthday party coming up next week and I am already getting nervous about going and it's a kids party to boot. I just feel like most of my friends do drink and would look at me oddly if I wasn't. They don't know that I will go home and drink some more. Does anyone have any good advice about these situations? Something maybe you would read or think when you felt like slipping or giving in. I feel I should start preparing myself. Thanks for listening. Any advice is appreciated
Old 08-18-2013, 05:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Bluedot,

There're a lot of therapies that help with social anxiety (CBT in particular seems to be very popular/helpful - and you don't necessarily need a therapist to do it! If interested, you can Google it and get good info. on it). Another idea might be to have a sober buddy - someone who knows what you're trying to do who will be there to help buffer and support you.

Welcome to SR!
Old 08-18-2013, 05:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hello and welcome to SR,Bluedot.
Honestly, this place is a great read when I feel I might slip or give in.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:57 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome to SR Bluedot. I think being here will help you let go of alcohol.

I did the same thing - drank to feel less self-conscious. It actually kept me from growing & changing the way I needed to. It wasn't a good idea to stay numb and foggy. Drinking seems like a good solution for coping, but in the end it holds us down. Glad you are here - you can make this big change and have a better life.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I was pleasantly surprised when I told all the heavy drinkers in my life that I was quitting. They were very proud and supportive! They didn't think I was weird at all.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:05 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

bluedot
Old 08-18-2013, 06:39 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you for the warm welcome and advice! I will look into some therapy and just start putting it out there and hopefully I will get a positive supportive reaction also. I'm sick of the fog I'm really glad I found this forum and will try to utilize it when I get those crazy feelings
Old 08-18-2013, 07:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Bluedot!!