Notices

Well i made it through last night.

Old 08-18-2013, 01:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well i made it through last night.

I had a struggle with day 4 yesterday. Last night was hell and i almost went to the shop. I did however smoke a bit of weed which took the edge off of it. (not condoning smoking weed but im not hooked on that)

I have weed maybe twice a week so thats no big deal and can take it or leave it.

I am now bright and happy on day 5 and feeling more positive today as this time yesterday i was shaking and today im not I am going to have a day to myself today doing things i enjoy. Music, fishing and eating
Old 08-18-2013, 01:42 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
(previously uksupport)

Are you withdrawing without medical supervision? It sounds like it if your getting DTs, i'd recommend seeing a doctor.
Old 08-18-2013, 03:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Please be careful about replacing alcohol with weed. I know you say you're not addicted but it's still a drug. Some people who kept smoking weed eventually went back to alcohol or increase their usage to replace the alcohol. Don't know whether it was lowered inhibitions, associations or what but it can be a problem. If you can take it or leave it maybe use this oportunity to quit weed too?

Glad you're feeling better btw
Old 08-18-2013, 04:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
Please be careful about replacing alcohol with weed. I know you say you're not addicted but it's still a drug. Some people who kept smoking weed eventually went back to alcohol or increase their usage to replace the alcohol. Don't know whether it was lowered inhibitions, associations or what but it can be a problem. If you can take it or leave it maybe use this oportunity to quit weed too?

Glad you're feeling better btw
Thanks! Yes i agree and will be quitting Weed as well. Once ive finished it thats it. I've never really been massively into it anyway so will be an easy quit!
Old 08-18-2013, 04:08 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by RJY9 View Post
Thanks! Yes i agree and will be quitting Weed as well. Once ive finished it thats it. I've never really been massively into it anyway so will be an easy quit!
Great news.Thanks for taking my comments so well. I was hoping I didn't sound harsh or judgmental but sometimes worry about how it comes across
Old 08-18-2013, 04:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
quat

Last year I stopped drinking , and after a few days I started smoking 'a little' weed (after a 20 yr hiatus of daily pot smoking) to take the edge off. Well it wasn't long until lower inhibitions lead back to beer and bourbon and pot, after some time I re-quit the pot. But having mixed smoking and drinking and left back to drinking alone the drinking ramped up , couldn't get high enough, you know?

Obviously just my experience.

The thing is the physical/mental discomfort of alcohol withdrawl is uncomfortable, but there are two components. The mental component is just that, mental. Taking the edge off with other intoxicants is pretty much not quitting the intoxication. Do you want to quit, if so you really do have to pay by going through uncomfortable aspects of the process.
anyway my thoughts, wish you well.
Old 08-18-2013, 04:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
Last year I stopped drinking , and after a few days I started smoking 'a little' weed (after a 20 yr hiatus of daily pot smoking) to take the edge off. Well it wasn't long until lower inhibitions lead back to beer and bourbon and pot, after some time I re-quit the pot. But having mixed smoking and drinking and left back to drinking alone the drinking ramped up , couldn't get high enough, you know?

Obviously just my experience.

The thing is the physical/mental discomfort of alcohol withdrawl is uncomfortable, but there are two components. The mental component is just that, mental. Taking the edge off with other intoxicants is pretty much not quitting the intoxication. Do you want to quit, if so you really do have to pay by going through uncomfortable aspects of the process.
anyway my thoughts, wish you well.
Thanks for your thoughts. As i say i will gradually quit weed but i do actually enjoy it and its never caused me a problem. I could quit just like that! right here right now but i dont really want to. I hated drinking thats why i quit. Ive never hated pot.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Glad to hear you had a successful night. Keep up the good work!
Old 08-18-2013, 05:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
quat

I never said I didn't like being drunk or stoned

I really liked it, that was the problem

What I didn't like was that I had made the enjoyment of those things a priority in my life , for years and years.

There are consequences for that choice and complicated feedback 'systems' that make one feel as if trapped in a downward spiral. I hope this isn't the case for you , or anyone else, again my thoughts.
Old 08-18-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey RJ. Really glad to hear you made it through another day and are feeling positive today. Nice work! I also really appreciate your honesty about smoking the weed. Honesty is awesome. Obviously kicking the drink is Job 1. And one has to be cognizant that one addiction can pop up in another's place. But I think you are aware of that.
I'm glad you faced another day without alcohol and I'm really glad you're keeping it honest.