Notices

Day three anxiety

Old 08-17-2013, 06:01 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Day three anxiety

My first post...maybe someone who has been through this can give me a little hope. The anxiety and panic after 3 days without a drink is unreal. Mentally I know it will pass but in the meantime I'm grinding my teeth to death and just trying to breathe. Occasionally I have this flash of optimism that this is the beginning of a better time for me but just as fast...crash. Mornings are easier but damn, the nights are hard. If just so exhausting being so scared all the time.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there Day 3 is a toughie, but SO worth it, if you can hang in there and ride the waves. Day 4 is slightly better and by day 5 you just feel amazing.
You've gone through all this hard work, just hang in there a little bit longer x x
Old 08-17-2013, 06:12 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Three is pretty early days, depending on the duration and extent of your drinking.
Anyhow welcome to the forum, and keep that flash of optimism going.
Old 08-17-2013, 06:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks for the kind words..means a lot to me
Old 08-17-2013, 06:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So glad you're sticking with it, WWD.

For me, day 3 was one of the hardest to get through. I was still suffering from insomnia and my blood pressure was still very high from lack of sleep.
Things will start to settle down for you in the next couple of days.
Just remember that everyone is different.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:41 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

That first week is a roller-coaster for sure, but 3-4 days is pretty much the hump to get over. Just hang in there. I always felt better by day five, even after some pretty harsh withdrawals, it always seems that day five is when the wind shifts and things start going the right way. Hope that it is for you, too.

So hang in there -- You got this one!
Old 08-17-2013, 08:08 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by wildwooddaze View Post
My first post...maybe someone who has been through this can give me a little hope. The anxiety and panic after 3 days without a drink is unreal. Mentally I know it will pass but in the meantime I'm grinding my teeth to death and just trying to breathe. Occasionally I have this flash of optimism that this is the beginning of a better time for me but just as fast...crash. Mornings are easier but damn, the nights are hard. If just so exhausting being so scared all the time.
I remember it well, but I assure you it WILL pass. Its the price you pay to get to a better you and a better life. I know its uncomfortable and hard, but you are nearly over the hard part, so hang in there.
Old 08-17-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
quat

wildwd
Yeah day 3 is hard, for me the anxiety was in the am, so luckily i was exhausted by evening, but like everybody says it does get better each day, hang in there, you got this and you sure don't want to do day 3 again and..
Old 08-17-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Mini Novel Post Writer

Hi WWD (hope you don't mind me calling you that)

Congrats on 3 days! That's awesome!

Originally Posted by wildwooddaze View Post
Occasionally I have this flash of optimism that this is the beginning of a better time for me.
That flash is a little spark, that spark will eventually turn to a flame. It IS the beginning of a better time although it's hard to see right now. You'll feel more and more of that feeling as time goes by.

Mornings are easier but damn, the nights are hard.
I agree. I love the mornings because I wake up clear headed and don't feel like crap! I promise, as you get further and further into sobriety just like the flash of optimism increasing the extent of how hard the evenings are will wane. The AV (addictive voice) always likes to pop up and reason with you too as to why you really don't need to quit. That's part of why we are here. Come to this board, read, read, read, post, post post. It will help!

Do you have a plan in place for times when you want to drink?

Welcome to the family!
Old 08-18-2013, 12:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hang in there. I'm at two months and have no cravings. Slept 12 hrs last night, all natural and woke up feeling great. It does get better over time! Just stick to it, do new stuff at night to get your mind off the way you used to spend time after work.