Notices

Kinda gross question...

Old 08-17-2013, 03:53 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Lisbeth

Question Kinda gross question...

Hi guys! Obviously, I'm new here...I went teetotal just over a month ago, after several failed attempts as being "a moderate drinker" and wanted to ask if anyone else has had this sort of gross problem. Since a few weeks back I've been having this really strong, sour sort of smell, coming mainly from my underarms. I'm not sweating excessively, It's just like super pungent BO, I guess. It literally starts about 20 mins after I jump out of the shower! I'm having to take like 2 or 3 showers a day and it still smells in between. Is this a side effect of my body detoxing itself? I've been drinking LOADS of water, like at least 3 500mL bottles worth every day...and I've been eating healthier, too. If it is a result of detoxing, how long should I expect it to last? I don't want to use anti-persperants because I've learned that the chemicals in them are super toxic and because of the trans-dermal efficiency of your underarms, you're getting 65% more of these toxic chemicals directly in your bloodstream than if you actually swallowed the same amount of chemicals. Freaky. Anyway I'm using non-toxic scented moisturizer currently, and I'm gonna get some natural stuff next week but atm I'm too poor (ah, student life!)
So any advice/help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance!

-Lisbeth
Old 08-17-2013, 04:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes it's very common.It's your body purging the toxins and learning how to re-regulate itself.I always used to think I had excess perspiration but a few weeks after quitting it totally stopped. We probably smelled more than we realized when drinking but were immune to it
Old 08-17-2013, 04:12 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Hi Lisbeth, it doesn't sound like the detox that's causing it. It might be that you're noticing it more. Get your doctor to do a skin swab as you could have some nasty smelling flora growing on your skin.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Why not try a deodorant? There are natural ones as well, but I think the mainstream ones will work just fine. As to the main point, I have had some funky smells and other strange bodily reactions when I quit (actually probably worse when I drank, but I was too numb to notice). They go away fairly quickly for me though. It is also not necessary to drink too much water, which can actually stress your kidneys.

EDIT: I just checked and the recommended intake for fluids is 2,200ml per day. All fluids count.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:24 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Lisbeth

Wow, thanks for the responses, guys! Okay, I'll go to the docs if it persists for more than a week. I thought that maybe the alcohol in your system kills some of the bugs on your skin when you sweat that cause BO. That's just a theory though. When i was hungover I often smelled...but only of alcohol. And from everywhere, not just under the armpits.
Old 08-17-2013, 04:44 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

Body odor is mainly caused by the growth of bacteria breaking down your sweat. To minimize it, be sure to dry off really well.

I just remembered a "trick" from my time in SE Asia, use baby powder under your arms and anywhere else that tends to get moist.