Notices

Day 5 - Sober and feeling angry as hell

Old 08-16-2013, 02:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5 - Sober and feeling angry as hell

I cannot get rid of this anger, it's volcanic and consumes me. Then I just want to cry and then sleep.

I have no more alcohol in my system, is this the emotional side of withdrawal?

How much anger can a person have for f***'s sake, doesn't it run out at some point?

Sorry I don't have a "happy, skipping through the daisies" post for you all today but I needed to get this off my chest.

I hate it and feeling like shi*
Old 08-16-2013, 02:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi there. I don't honestly know if it's the normal thing, but I sure felt like that on day 5 (am on day 8 now). I remember thinking it's like when you break up with someone - first you're upset/weepy, then angry and then it's over.
I feel a lot better now so am wondering if that was the case?

PS I even swore at my t-shirt because it wasn't hanging right lol x
Old 08-16-2013, 02:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

At this stage in recovery, very early, your emotions are all over the place and will bounce around for a while yet. Be patient and it will smooth out eventually.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:50 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I would say that its a good thing. In my opinion alcoholics drink to numb the fear and the anger that lay at the heart of why they are what they are so by taking away the pain-killer its inevitable that you will be able to feel the emotional pain that made the bottle so attractive in the first place.

No pain, no gain. No point in anybody trying to pretend that sobriety just comes with no effort or hurt because that is a lie. But there is life beyond that hurt, there really is and its worth doing everything you can to reach that.

My only real advice is to accept that you cannot deal with this alone. You need all sorts in your life to deal with this and that the real notion of surrender is being able to concede that.

But feel the pain. Feel the anger. That is the real underlying problem. The booze is just a poor pain-killer that actually inflames the emotional infection and you are ALWAYS better off without it. Might not seem that way now but even in a couple of hours it will feel it.
Old 08-16-2013, 02:57 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cormat - thank you! Every single word of that rang true to me x
Old 08-16-2013, 03:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
instant

I don't think it is possible to get off the sauce without some disruption and turbulence. It really took some time for my emotions, energy and sleep to get back to what I would call normal. I am now over two years and I still notice improvements- I smile and laugh more- good things do come if you stick it out.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think this is all very normal. The problem being tho is that we can get overwhelmed with the emotions.

Many times I've been so angry I felt I needed to drink before I literally killed someone....so I drank. cause and effect.

It's a powerful argument, but it's a false one.

I think support is vital especially when we're finding sobriety is tough going

Do you have any support outside of SR DS?

D
Old 08-16-2013, 06:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks for posting this, DS777. I'm on day 5 too. I just got back from an AA meeting and am angry as hell too. I guess I go in with the expectation that going to a meeting is going to make me feel great. Well, the past couple of days, being around other alcoholics has only gotten on my nerves more and more. Some people in those rooms do some stupid ****.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:29 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Your brain chemistry is at the end of a yo yo for a couple weeks. It'll level off, just stick with it, keep the steady hand on the plow.
Old 08-16-2013, 06:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

I was just like that and it lasted for awhile. Have you tried journaling about the anger you feel? It might help to write things out.