Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Substance Abuse
Reload this Page >

A week on then a week off. Whats going on? Where do i go from here?

Notices

Old 08-14-2013, 10:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I take oxycontin 80mg a day. my script.is worth 2 weeks.but I finish in a week.

So I'm basically one week on one week off and its been for 2.months now. Right before.these 2 on and of months I did not take for 2 weeks.

I def. Go through withdrawal the one week that I'm off. I was.taking oxycontin and percocets daily from last august until pretty much 2 months ago daily. So those first 2 weeks being off were a disaster then I got the script did it in a week the withdrawal for a week then repeat.

I want to know if somehow those breaks are making it a less withdrawal? As each time I take a lighter dose by spreading it out just a bit longer. So my body recovers for a week then a week on then week off. Can this be beneficial in any way towards stopping?

I do feel that the weeks off now have become more easier, after taking my morning dose of Dexedrine and t1s here and there as needed to curb a bit of the withdrawal. I basically feel alright on the weeks off just a bit of sweats light anxiety. But no pains really. have no motivation in those time periods tho.

My plan is to stop, but before I do I want to be able to do a week without pick up the script the next week and be able to hold onto them and take.maybe one a day.

I understand this is hard to do but basically.my question is in regards.to me recovering and withdrawal would this approach be helping the withdrawal even a bit? As I am going on breaks and no binging months straight.

And another thing. Is it possible.or have any of you been able.to get a.script while your recovering or ready for next step and achieved the goals you had promised yourself when picking up that next script?

Thank you! Any advice would be appreciated.
Old 08-14-2013, 10:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

no experience at all with oxy, Purelifeadapt, but I wanted to welcome you.
Others will be along

D
Old 08-14-2013, 10:44 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Fair enough, thank you! Appreciate it.
Old 08-15-2013, 12:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm sorry my friend I tried that it didn't work I took a beating. If you can go a week off just go a lifetime off after the 2 weeks of wd the mental addiction remains but it will pass we all find a way to fill the void just don't pick another drug. I helped myself by outing myself to my doctors that I'm now sober.
Old 08-15-2013, 04:34 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Work in Progress

I hear a few problems here. I did the use heavy thing for a bit and then be clean. Only reason is cuz I couldn't get pills. So although I may have been clean and going through withdrawals I wasn't recovering. Only waiting for my next fix. And then you ask has anyone stuck to their goals while picking up a new script.... Honey we're addicts. I personally don't know how anyone does a taper. We're addicts, we want more. The only way to end the cycle you're in is to stop completely and start recovering, not just not using for a few days until your script comes in.
Old 08-15-2013, 06:34 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Every refill I got for the last year of my 3 year run was my last. I was going to taper, I was going to quit. I was only going to take 3 a day instead of 9...

If you want to quit, then you have to quit. If you can go a week without using then you should really try to stick it out. On your other thread I think I suggested seeking out a therapist to help deal with the emotional issues you encountered from your illness. It sounds kind of like PTSD, but I'm no doctor. Tylenol with codeine is a no-no because it acts on your receptors and can be addicting. Maybe someone can link that good article about PAWS. That could help explain what you are going through also.
Old 08-15-2013, 07:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DecBaby View Post
I hear a few problems here. I did the use heavy thing for a bit and then be clean. Only reason is cuz I couldn't get pills. So although I may have been clean and going through withdrawals I wasn't recovering. Only waiting for my next fix. And then you ask has anyone stuck to their goals while picking up a new script.... Honey we're addicts. I personally don't know how anyone does a taper. We're addicts, we want more. The only way to end the cycle you're in is to stop completely and start recovering, not just not using for a few days until your script comes in.
Unfortunately I have to agree. I REALLY WANT to taper. But if the dope is here I take it. I am amazed by how this garbage rewires you. I am a control freak but this stuff has me be the twig and giggle berries and won't let go.
Old 08-15-2013, 08:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Fancyfree- is this the article you wanted purelife to read?

Why We Don’t Get Better Immediately: Post-acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS) | What...Me Sober?
Old 08-15-2013, 08:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

All these folks are right, you just have to quit. Biting the bullet until the next refill is not quitting or slowing down. I did this exact cycle and it never gets better. It just wears you out and depresses you even more.