Notices

Day 19

Old 08-13-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 19

Hi all -

Well, I've made it to day 19 so far, so good. I'm amazed of how easier it is than when i tried to stop drinking about seven years ago. I look back and can now say that i wasn't ready to stop then and still thought I could mange my drinking. That's not to say that I'm fully confident that I will never drink again - after all my last go at it I stayed sober for five months.

Part of the problem my last go round was it was the first year I was appointed as a principal. Too much stress and too little resolve to do this at that time. This go round I'm actually exercising. I'm walking 31/2 - 4 miles a day which has really helped A LOT. Evenings, of course, are the worst basically because I have such a clear head. I've been substituting a lot of Cherry Coke Zeros and flavored waters for the liter plus of wine I used to drink every night.

I was a heavy drinker from about the age of 17 and an alcoholic for the past 13 years or so - the last 5 being the worst. I pray that this "moment of clarity" will see me through for the rest of my time here on earth.
Old 08-13-2013, 10:52 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hey - Kudos on the 19 days sober, Bowder!! I'm one of those for whom exercise is a must - it makes a big difference for me, as well.

Congrats again...and welcome to SR.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome Bowder. Kudos to you for your 19 days of sobriety. It does get easier with time, but I have noticed there are many bumps in the road before the road becomes smooth. I am still on the bumpy road, but I am determined to make it to the smooth side this time.

Jobs can cause a lot of stress. I know mine is very stressful and that is why I "thought" I deserved to drink on my days off (weekends). But, that is not the case and I had to substitute my DOC this weekend to huge amounts of sparkling water which worked.

I find that working out does help tremendously. It helps me get through the stressful times. I am now jogging on the weekends in the morning and I found that has help me from picking up that first drink.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:11 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great stuff on 19 days
Old 08-13-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well done. Stay positive. I am 7 weeks and 3 days today. And today is the best I have felt in ages. The last slip was so bad I am determined never to go back. I felt better within days of stopping but today has just been my first really good day. and for no reason at all.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:30 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm on Day 19 too Bowder! Woohoo!
Old 08-13-2013, 11:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Great job on reaching 19 days bowder! We know how hard you've worked. I agree, we have to be ready. It sounds like you are happy to be free of it.
Old 08-13-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

congratulations Bowder

D
Old 08-13-2013, 02:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Great job!!! I want to throw exercise in soon - I've been so tired these first few days, so I'm scared if I try too much at once I will get frustrated and give up on all of it. Did you start exercising at the same time you stopped drinking - like replacement therapy?
Old 08-13-2013, 03:14 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hello Browder. Congrats on 19!!! Glad u are back. I started about the age you did. I quit 8 yrs ago for about 2 yrs then... I guess I'm STUPID...thought since I had no alcohol for 2 yrs I might be successful at moderation. Started out pretty good for a while but failed miserably. Well, as I've said here before alcohol handles me more than I handle it, and that's a disastrous combination. That's why I'm here and on day 8. Keep it up B.
Old 08-13-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Way to go Bowder. Keep it up and stay connected. Exercise is key, isn't it?
Old 08-13-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

FANTASTIC!

Proud for you...keep it up!
Old 08-13-2013, 07:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Jojo - Yeah, I guess I could consider exercising replacement therapy! Before I becam a principal I exercised all the time - even trained for a half marathon. Those endorphins are a good sub for the daily wine drunk!