Notices

New here

Old 08-12-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here

I'm trying to determine if I have a problem with alcohol and need to quit drinking completely or if I am just abusing. I'm new here and I am still drinking. I drink wine in the evenings - about 2-3 drinks per night, sometimes more, sometimes less.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Welcome. It is good to be vigilant about one's drinking. It sounds like you may be drinking more than the recommended amounts. That itself doesn't mean you have a problem with alcohol.

Have you done things while drinking that you regret, or behaved in such a manner to alarm yourself or others?

Try quitting. If you fail or struggle mightily, you might have a problem that needs to be addressed.

If you have no problem quitting (a couple months sober), you have the choice to remain abstinent or limit yourself to modest social drinking.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You may or may not have a problem. The suggestion to stop, and see how it goes is a good one. This is what is recommended the most. Also, if your drinking has caused you problems, then it may be a problem.
Welcome to SR!
Old 08-12-2013, 08:51 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm not sure I know how to quit. I tried a week ago. On the fourth night, I was like, I'll try another time. So I bought a bottle, and drank most of it except for about less than a full glass.

So I don't know. Maybe I do have a problem.
Old 08-12-2013, 08:55 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is hard for people to quit. We give it a go, and then the struggle sets in, so we then ignore the struggle until we just cant ignore the struggle any longer. You are the only one to decide if you have a problem. What would be the reason that you have taken to abusing alcohol, if you are abusing?
Old 08-12-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've been drinking since I was a teenager. It seems that more recently, I have been drinking more. A year ago, a bottle of wine would last two or three days. Over the past few months, I have easily drank a whole bottle in one night - not every night, but certainly more often than I used to. I'm having marital problems that hit the fan April of 2012. We sweep them under the table. I lash out once in a while when I've been drinking. I'm kinda of scared and sad about my marriage and drinking.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

There's a good online tool to help you determine if you may be an alcoholic: Am I An Alcoholic - Take a Self-Assessment Alcoholic Test

Bear in mind a general rule is that people without a drinking problem rarely wonder of they have a problem. But you are doing the right thing . Let us know if we can help.
Old 08-12-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You obviously are at least concerned . And I guess that's how u ended up here. You've come to a great place for support!! Only u can say if you do or don't have a problem. While trying to decide whether u do or don't try to remember this "Be true unto thy own self". That can make a difference. Hope to see u around.!!
Old 08-12-2013, 10:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't think you have to define yourself as an alcoholic in order to decide you should address it. It stands to reason that over time you need more alcohol to achieve the same effect. Our tolerance simply increases. It sounds like you have developed an "alcohol crutch" and well, that's a slippery slope. How about seeing if you can abstain for one month? If that's a struggle, come chat with us here at SR..vent your fears, frustrations, that sort of thing. If you're not using alcohol to smother or soften feelings and stress...you need to do something else with them : )
Old 08-12-2013, 11:16 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Petra

The tests and definitions defining alcohol issues are hazy at best. Alcoholism/alcohol dependence/alcohol abuse all mean exactly the same thing. The only relevant difference is in how you choose to tackle it. I think most people here will suggest abstinence because it's ace If I knew years ago what I know now I would have quit drinking much sooner. I used it as a crutch for far too long.

I think one of the reasons it is so complex and no one can do a definite test is that the addicted brain is very sneaky. So if you quit for three months you might carry on drinking daily but think you didn't have an alcohol problem because of that time you didn't drink for 3 months... Or if you cut it down and then go back to drinking too much you might think you can cut down but you just don't want to. The reason no one says anything definite is that they don't want to add fuel to the denial x