Notices

19 days sober and bored...

Old 08-10-2013, 04:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

19 days sober and bored...

So ive almost made it throught my 19th day with no alcohol or cigarettes and I am extremely bored. I have like half a dozen hobbies and have started working out but none of these things has been able to keep my attention today. Im not wanting to drink or really even thinking about it for that matter, im just bored. Ive even tried to watch tv and just get even more irritated with all of the stupid new shows that are out now. Anyway, atleast typing this burned up a few minutes of my boredom... LOL
Old 08-10-2013, 04:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Know what you mean. Not wanting to drink but getting bored. I just found new things to do. Gym is good. I downloaded a few new series to watch, weeks fly by then boredom dies down!
Old 08-10-2013, 06:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I think this is pretty common for addicts / alcoholics because we are thrill seekers. I know that sometimes, in my case at least, what I initially thought was boredom was actually just things quieting down. Less drama and less wild and crazy stuff in my life which isn't necessarily a bad thing but I wasn't accustomed to it so I felt uneasy. I've picked up some hobbies too, and I enjoy them, but I had to find some things to try that took me out of my comfort zone - I starred deep sea scuba diving and I'm working on a small side business which requires time and attention. It helps because I still get some excitement out of these things because I'm challenging myself. Just an idea. What are some things you have always wanted to do or try but been afraid? What about taking a trip somewhere cool in the near future? I went to South America by myself. I was sober. It was awesome.

It will get better! Hang in there!
Old 08-10-2013, 07:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Look at it this way. Being bored is better than being sick or destructive, isn't it?
Old 08-10-2013, 08:14 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You'll eventually get used to your new way of life...it just takes a while. When I got sober I started to notice the little things in life...like nice weather, or curling up with a good book or movie and a blanket. Try cooking some new recipes or going to a yoga class or book store. I know those things might sound boring now, but healthy pass times start to become more and more appealing as we become healthy inside.

Good to hear that your going to the gym.

Good luck!
Old 08-10-2013, 08:17 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Nothing is impossible!

Originally Posted by Ironman9292 View Post
So ive almost made it throught my 19th day with no alcohol or cigarettes and I am extremely bored. I have like half a dozen hobbies and have started working out but none of these things has been able to keep my attention today. Im not wanting to drink or really even thinking about it for that matter, im just bored. Ive even tried to watch tv and just get even more irritated with all of the stupid new shows that are out now. Anyway, atleast typing this burned up a few minutes of my boredom... LOL

Sounds like you are just a lil cranky, which is normal for where you are at in recovery. Im over 2 years and I have been cranky as hell this week after quitting my sleeping pills. I am bored too right now and getting annoyed about it. We can be moody together, lol.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Bored or angry? Or are you just not able to concentrate? All of those things are normal early on. I have always been a big reader but I couldn't sit still for 5 minutes when I first got sober. I went for long walks and read magazines and just rolled with it til things settled down. Maybe you are just feeling a little restless right now but it will improve. If you're still bored in a few months then it's time to find some new hobbies x