Notices

Sick and Tired

Old 08-10-2013, 01:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Sick and Tired

Hello. I'm 39, male, and I'm in NE Ohio. I've been a problem drinker since I picked up over 20 years ago. I have been dry since Thursday. Other than that, you know the story...

I recently revisited the 20 question alcoholism screening quiz. I answered 20 items out of 20 yes. I could also elaborate at great length on each of patterns covered by the 20 questions, but I won't do that right now.

I just feel that there is no "trying" to stop for me anymore. Action is required, but I would like to do it w/o going back to a treatment center. I know it's a safe environment, but I just see that as delaying the inevitable. I want to start taking responsibility NOW. However, as many of you may understand, my mind, body, spirit and living situation are all very unhealthy - A lot of garbage and wreckage. A lot of beating myself up. Too much to handle by myself.

Hopefully, posting here, reading and listening to others in recovery, and getting back into a program of action will help me get out of this dreadful place once and for all.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome aboard and best wishes on your road to recovery!

I am only 16 days sober myself but a recovery plan must be individually tailored. I don't think there is any tried and true method of recovery that would apply to anyone or everyone. There is no "one size fits all." Some people need inpatient detox, others may have little to no withdrawal symptoms. Some people may need 30 AA meetings in 30 days, others might only need to go a week. And AA may not work for some people who don't believe in God. Some people may need a ton of live human interaction, others will only want to be isolated for a time while recovering.

The most important thing is that you have to WANT sobriety more than being drunk and you have to be WILLING to do whatever it takes to get and stay sober.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Jules

Welcome to SR Pete. This is a great place with great people who have the same goal and support each other. I'm 115 days sober today and been feeling pretty good but still have some ups and downs. Life now compared to the drinking life is so much better.

You can get and stay sober. To me taking it a day at a time is key.
Old 08-10-2013, 01:49 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
TKS

Welcome Pete. I am of similar age and drinking years to you, and am entering my 8th day. It really does get easier by the day, and reading posts here constantly seems to be reprogramming my mind, about how destroying booze is, not just to me, but to many others. You can do it, we all can do it, there are thousands and thousands of successful ex users/drinkers on this forum.

As an early days recovering alco, if your sobriety pans out anything like mine is, be mindful to prepare yourself. For me at least, the boredom & restlessness has almost been enough for me to go and get a bottle or ten, so consider how you will occupy your sober time for the early stages. Clean the house, go for long walks, cook, spend more time on your hobbies, visit this forum, whatever it takes. It's also good to have a mental diversion from the constant thinking about booze. Honestly i have never thought about alcohol so much ever prior to the last week, where the fears of losing control again are fairly constant in my waking time, unless I find some other stimulatiing activity that gives me a few minutes respite.

It isn't easy, but the sober days are refreshing. Good luck
Old 08-10-2013, 01:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Pete.

I have been here a week and one week sober.

And you are right, it has to end.

Good luck.
Old 08-10-2013, 02:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, Pete!

SR is a great place to find support and inspiration and I hope you continue to read and post here.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:51 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Pete - it's great to have you with us.

When I found SR I knew I wasn't alone anymore. Having company while going through this huge change is very comforting. I knew everyone here understood how I felt. I'm glad you are reaching out for a better life. It feels strange when we first give it up, but each day you'll feel a bit better. Be kind and patient with yourself. You can do this.