Notices

new to aa

Old 08-05-2013, 03:42 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

new to aa

hi,
I went to AA last Friday, still hungover after a date the night before. (can't remember most of the night).

I've been struggling to say the words "and i'm an alcoholic" that are said when talking in AA. so I've been doing online quizzes and research to help me work this out. (I guess i'm working on step 1).

Its been useful to read your posts, especially those by "functioning alcoholics" because I guess that's where I am. I've probably been cutting back for years and holiding onto "just trying to control" how much I drink, but i'm sick of the struggle, cause no matter what, when I go out, I don't just get have a few, I get blind drunk and barely remember the night.

thanks everyone for this site, its helping me to read other's stories.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome freshndfree - it's great to have you join the family.

I tried for decades to control the amounts I drank. I don't remember ever succeeding in having just a couple. I proved to myself over & over that every time I picked up it led to disaster and danger. In the end, it was just exhausting to hold on to it. It feels wonderful to be free of. I hope you'll find the help & hope you're seeking.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
12-Step Recovered Alkie

you don't have to say "I'm an alcoholic." Period.

I had a sponsee who even after two years in AA never said it once at a table. He'd just say his name and his last drink date. My instruction to him was to be honest and if he wasn't sure or didn't think he was an alcoholic it was best for him to be honest and NOT lie by saying he was one.

"The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking." Anyone with a desire to stop (or stay stopped) drinking is welcome.

All that being said, it may help you to find out what definition AA uses for alcoholic and what does and does not constitute alcoholism. You're certainly welcome to your own definition but it helped me to learn what AA considered alcoholic when it came time for me to introduce myself as alcoholic, addict, cross-addicted, or whatever at meetings.
Old 08-05-2013, 05:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome to SR freshndfree

D
Old 08-05-2013, 05:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome, I'm glad you found us.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Keep coming back.
Old 08-05-2013, 06:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Just a Sober ******* Now

DayTrader hit on the point I was going to comment on. You don't have to be an alcoholic to be there. I know several people who aren't alcoholics who could really benefit from being there.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome, I go to AA meetings. In my short time I have heard people say Hi in lots of creative, and sometimes laughable ways. As one in our group reminds us each week, "We are not a glum lot!" Just attending meetings is helpful, don't sweat the labels.
:-D. Bobbi