Notices

It's possible... Don't pick up!!

Old 08-05-2013, 03:38 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's possible... Don't pick up!!

Hi SR.

Had an urge to come on SR just now, so here I am. To all the newcomers outthere and those wrestling with quitting and making it really complicated... Just take care of the basic principle - Don't pick up!! It sounds simple but ultimately it's easy to complicate things and cloud the obvious, which is recovery can only happen with abstinence.

Have faith that things will be better if you remain sober compared to if you pick up; this will undoubtedly be the reality! It is possible and over time the sober life becomes the normal life.

I just got back from a 10 day holiday abroad and without a doubt holiday's abroad are in my opinion the biggest tester for remaining sober. For me I was never going to drink but I was able to put a stop to any sense of self-pity or wallowing that I couldn't drink any fancy cocktails, beers or other drinks in the scorching sunshine. I am simply brutally honest to myself and to those around me so that I can take away any romance over the reality of drinking alcohol.

Life is different without alcohol, once you accept that and are at peace with that knowledge then you can live happily. Once you can see through the bullsh*t of any notion of a happy ending with alcohol involved then you are able to move forwards. I am very candid and brutally honest about what a drink means for me and this has served me well and enabled me to live happily and contented sober.

Keep The Faith...
Old 08-05-2013, 03:41 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

The last paragraph Neo - perfect. That's it exactly for me too.

Thanks for sharing these thoughts & for paying a visit. Miss you when you're not around.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:49 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thank you so much for this post - this is exactly what I needed to read at this moment.
Old 08-05-2013, 03:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are so right!
Weird rationales lead us back to the booze halls.
Also 'one day at a time'; very powerful.