Notices

Bipolar and alcoholic

Old 08-03-2013, 07:17 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Bipolar and alcoholic

Hello,
I'm the brother of a person with bipolar disorder and alcohol addiction. Sister few months drinking, cheating on me all the time and I think myself that she would go to rehab. Most likely lose an apartment, because she does not repay the loan. I help as I can, but I've had enough, and certainly do not want it at home. Destroying things, adventures, bringing strange people, etc.. I'm dead tired. If you only have a family of alcoholics, it is recommended to leave an alcoholic himself and take care of your life. What is my responsibility, I am aware that we are here is measured with a dual diagnosis.
Old 08-03-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

By cheating I understand the promises about to go to rehab. Can I use the wrong verb? English is not my native language
Old 08-03-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Dyzio, I have a dual diagnosis (bipolar and alcoholism) and have family members with the same. I totally understand your frustration with your sister.
If she takes medication for her bipolar diagnosis the alcohol is fighting against the meds. It's very common for people with mental illness to self medicate, especially if their meds aren't controlling all of their symptoms. That's no excuse, just fact.
Please don't feel guilty for not wanting her to live with you. She is responsible for her own behavior. I've always known right from wrong and the only time I violated my standards, or shirked my responsibilities, was when I was drinking.

Does your sister see a psychiatrist?

Your English is very good, btw.
Old 08-03-2013, 12:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

She goes to a psychiatrist in depressive episodes willingly when starting a hypomanic state (usually) have to persuade. I have a feeling that does not listen to the doctor for medication dosages. I guess you could say that I have a child
Old 08-04-2013, 09:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I'm at the end of physical endurance. Insults, lying, destroying all the material and the spiritual. Sister feel satisfied only when all bring to your level. Friends and acquaintances expect that I forces Sophie to treatment. There are even suggestions radical solutions such as incapacitation. People want peace, and in such cases they forget that it is no longer the Middle Ages
Old 08-04-2013, 10:46 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm sorry you're going through this with her. It may be time to back off and let her find her own way. You can't force her to do anything that she doesn't want to do. I'm sure you must be physically and emotionally worn out. Take care of you.

You may want to post in the Friends and Family section of the forum to get feedback from other family members who are going through the same things.

Here's the link to that part of the forum.

Friends and Family of Alcoholics - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

Good luck to you, Dyzio.
Old 08-04-2013, 01:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thank you very much.
Please explain to me, let me understand this. My sister challenged me today, accused the false things that deeply violate my privacy. Cruel, with full awareness. I spoke with her ​​former partner. He said that she said these lies before. It makes me hurt. Is she a bad man or a disease? how do I defend myself? It seems that there is nothing sacred to her.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:43 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dyzio View Post
Thank you very much.
Please explain to me, let me understand this. My sister challenged me today, accused the false things that deeply violate my privacy. Cruel, with full awareness. I spoke with her ​​former partner. He said that she said these lies before. It makes me hurt. Is she a bad man or a disease? how do I defend myself? It seems that there is nothing sacred to her.
Dyzio,
You need some healthy boundaries between you and your sister. For your own health and well being. We all have free will whether we are mentally ill or not. You are not your sister's keeper. Do not let her move in with you. She needs to make her own way in the world and wherever that takes her is not for you to determine. You did't cause it, can't cure it either. It is very often the care takers under stress that end up sick...take care of yourself. Research all you can on her illness/addiction.
Old 08-11-2013, 05:41 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

How do I respond to a friend who call me to deal with my sister? I sent my sister to a private addiction treatment center. Fled after a week. She wants to drink. When the drink is difficult to determine her condition (maniac or stable). She has a sense of impunity, a lot of money so far it stretched all the trouble.
Old 08-11-2013, 10:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

So I read the account of the arrest in a manic state. My sister was arrested more than once in custody sober, and the police refused psychiatric examination.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

What if our relative with bipolar disorder and alcoholism disease fall into depression. Watch or keep distance?
Old 08-12-2013, 12:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Pack your bags and run.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Yes, dream about it but how to forget about all I was taught. Compassion, caring ...
Old 08-12-2013, 01:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

You cant beat it, you cant cure it, you cant do anything about it. (Addiction) If you chose not to involve yourself, just leave. Remove yourself and dont look back.
Old 08-17-2013, 09:03 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I was just attacked by one of our friends and relatives that I do not do anything. I asked what is I should do … The answer was typical. I do not know but You should do something. And next, “..she may committed suicide either in euphoria (hippomaniac state ) or in depression. “
So I am again involved. The feel of responsibility etc. How do you manage “people”…