Notices

Do You Ever Miss Detox?

Old 07-31-2013, 12:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Do You Ever Miss Detox?

Days like today, I really miss being in a detox facility. The structure, the meals, the groups and classes, the order, specific med times, etc.

Sure, the grass is always greener and when I'm in there I want nothing more than to get out. But sometimes I long for that structure, just to make it all easier to deal with.

Anyone else feel this way, at least here and there?
Old 07-31-2013, 12:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Further clarification: I'm unemployed and fervently looking for a job.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I have never been to detox, but I was made redundant from work a couple of times.

Each time I was put on 'garden leave' as we call it in the UK.
At first I thought I would love not working and it was a bit of a novelty. I could get up when I wanted, sleep when I wanted, but soon I got really tired of having no routine.

I did not like that no-one cared what time I woke up or fell asleep. What meals I had and at what time. And of course the drinking got earlier and earlier each day.

So maybe I can see where you are coming from a little bit.

I wish you the best
xx
Old 07-31-2013, 12:55 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I made some really good friends in Treatment. Same schedule is Detox. I can see it.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I have too, Life, maybe that's part of it. We were actually, weirdly, in there two consecutive times together and I talk with him regularly.

... I should keep that in mind when waxing poetic about detox. It's less "fun" when you feel alone. I guess I've always been somewhat lucky.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

l thought it was one of the most horrible experiences in my life..
what ever happens... l am not going there again.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I was never in detox, but I can understand why you would miss it. There's nothing better when you are healing than to have someone wait on you and take care of you.
Old 07-31-2013, 01:42 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Eleni58 View Post
I was never in detox, but I can understand why you would miss it. There's nothing better when you are healing than to have someone wait on you and take care of you.
Well, that, and make sure you don't die!
Old 07-31-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I don't think it was terrible except for the invasion of privacy and boredom. Having to have them check my bra and underwear before letting me go in, not allowing any reading materials except for the big book, and having to attend public AA meetings wearing our hospital johnnies and bathrobes so everyone knew we were in detox. I was the only person in there that was there for the first time, and I never want to go back. I know what you mean by the structure, though, and the people caring.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by scintillady View Post
I don't think it was terrible except for the invasion of privacy and boredom. Having to have them check my bra and underwear before letting me go in, not allowing any reading materials except for the big book, and having to attend public AA meetings wearing our hospital johnnies and bathrobes so everyone knew we were in detox. I was the only person in there that was there for the first time, and I never want to go back. I know what you mean by the structure, though, and the people caring.
I guess I was lucky in that all of my detox experiences were for the most part agreeable, but that sounds terrible! I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Not having anything to read except the Big Book? I can't even imagine.

I guess I was lucky.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:06 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It still was probably the best thing I ever did, though.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes, I also liked the structure in rehab. It's kinda odd that I didn't crave or even think about having a drink while I was in there. Rehab was easy, life outside is the hard part...
Old 08-01-2013, 07:26 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Exactly, Wasting. In there all I could think about in regard to drinking was how happy I was that I was sober, and how great I felt. Got out and felt alone and scared - then started the same process of self destruction. Most of the people I was in there with apparently did the same, going right back to drinking, pills, or heroin.