Notices

New here, my 2nd day

Old 07-30-2013, 12:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New here, my 2nd day

Hello everyone,
I am new here and this is my first time posting on an internet forum about quitting drinking. Today is my second day. I have made it 3, 4, and rarely 5 days sober in the past couple of years but I would really like to try to get at least a couple of months. I like waking up and not feeling sick and hungover. But today I feel like crap, and all I want to do is sleep. I had a temptation today while grocery shopping with my children. I avoided the section with the wine by shopping away from it. But, one of the kid's had to use the restroom and it is near the wine. Walking past the wine was so hard for me. All I could think about was putting a bottle in the cart for later tonight. I imagined myself drinking it and how good it would taste. In fact, I am still thinking about this even though this happened several hours ago and it is bothering me.
Old 07-30-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome. There are many posts on this site to help us to stay away from the first drink. AA was my life saver when I needed to stop. The idea is don't pick up the first drink so we don't have to get sober AGAIN. In order to support this goal we find we need to be honest with OURSELVES. It's work but believe that the result is probably beyond what you hope for. BE WELL
Old 07-30-2013, 01:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Don't think of how good it would taste, think of how awful you'd feel the next morning. You can do this! Many of us have quit drinking and you can too.

to SR!
Old 07-30-2013, 01:32 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Tired Cat this is my 2nd day also, this is usually the time that I start thinking about my first drink of the night and I keep going until I fall asleep (aka pass out) What a sad way to live!! I need to find something to do to keep my mind occupied so I won't think about drinking. Good luck to you, nice to know someone is in the same boat
Old 07-30-2013, 01:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi tiredcat and needabetterlife and Welcome! Congratulations on getting sober. Posting here is a great start.

Yeah, be honest. If you're here, you know that that drink will end up in misery and quite possibly death. Find something fun or relaxing to get your mind off of it. I think that's a great idea for early recovery.

Get some good support and take it one day at a time. One hour or one minute if you need to.

I found that being around other clean people or folks in recovery helps immensely. Make yourself exercise or take a walk.

This site is full of people who got through the tough early days and completely transformed their lives. You can, too.
Old 07-30-2013, 03:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome tiredcat

you'll find a lot of support here. Read and post as much as you need to. Reach out when you feel vulnerable.

SR helped me change my life - I know we can help you do the same

D
Old 07-30-2013, 03:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I always promise myself a drink tomorrow. Even plan what I will drink tomorrow. But not today. This time tomorrow.
Old 07-30-2013, 09:15 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi. Welcome to SR. This forum has been a god send in my life. Posting on here when you feel the urge to drink is a positive step in the right direction. I hope that you continue to post and stay with us. You can do this! Congrats on your sober time, keep going.