Notices

Trying to cut down, Ain't cutting it!

Old 07-27-2013, 02:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Trying to cut down, Ain't cutting it!

Hello, I read online that you could slowly cut back on the daily drinks to the point that you could just stop? (Worried about that sudden withdrawl...DT's?) Well I have to say this, IT AIN'T WORKING!! Everyday I cut back on a drink, I want one more, Always one more. I was drinking a pint & 1/2 daily & now I'm down to just under 3/4 of a pint a day of rum...I feel worst then ever! Cant sleep & in the morning I feel like I have to count the hours until I can have that reduced amount. I think to myself, What the hell, Just drink what you want so you can function again. Has anyone has success with this method? I dont have the funds for intreatment withdrawal & dont know what else to do. I would like to start AA meetings, But will not go until I'm off the drink, Its not fair to the other 12 steppers to show up at a meeting half-in the bag. I feel like I'm hopeless. Any advice? Many thanks, goingdownslo
Old 07-27-2013, 02:36 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That's a nice sentiment re the AA meetings but really I don't think anyone would mind. The purpose of AA is to help other alcoholics so it doesn't make sense that you can't go if you've been drinking... It is also the best place to go if you want information about what services are available in your area seeing as people there will have used them. Welcome to SR x
Old 07-27-2013, 02:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

A good idea to check out with doctor re potential alcoholic withdrawal.
I spent 19 years trying to drink moderately, still suffered, but not as badly as the years before that, so don't make your long term plans too long.

As long as you are not paralytic OR violent I suggest you head to AA ASAP.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If I had control I would not be an alcoholic.

It would never work for me. If I have one then I want more and more. It would be plain torture to have to ration my intake. The only way for me was to abstain completely and ride out the storm.

Not everyone has major withdrawals but I am not a doctor and even a doctor cannot predict what type of symptoms you may have. Until you try cold turkey there is no way to say what will happen.

If you are worried about major health issues then there are options such as detox or a treatment center. You could wait and see a doctor and ask them what you need to do from here.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Faith and reason

I couldn't gradually cut down to zero either. I found it much easier and less hassle to just stop completely. Like others have said, see a doctor about your worries to do with withdrawal.

And like hypo said, you can start AA meetings right now. The only requirement for going is a desire to stop drinking, which you obviously have. As long as you can stand/sit/lie down in a room for an 1 - 1.5 hours, you'll be alright. It doesn't even matter if you fall asleep -- your backside will be listening.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:56 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
2 detoxes down, 0 to go

I tried tapering several times and could not do it. I was to the point that by the time I'd cut my intake roughly in half over the course of about three days I still had moderate withdrawals and my drinking went right back up. At a certain point, I'm not sure that tapering is physically or psychologically possible.

If you're concerned with physical withdrawals, see a doctor. S/he may put you on Librium or something similar which will greatly reduce your symptoms and should prevent a seizure or DTs. Or the doc may test you and decide that you're not in serious danger by going cold turkey. Either way, only a doc can really help you with that decision.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I tried tapering down too, many times, never worked for me. I always gave in to the temptation to have more than the decided amount.

I'd ask your doctor for help in getting safely thru the w/d. Sometimes meds are given for a few days to keep you safe.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thank you, Love the dog quote! I'm a dog lover as well.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Grateful

Hi goingdownslo,

If you can afford one appointment with the doctor he/she may be able to help you get off of the booze completely. You can still start going to AA now, just try not to show up completely drunk. It is not uncommon at all for people to go to AA before they got sober. As long as they aren't disruptive to the meeting they are more than welcome to attend.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I couldn't taper either as always wanted another.If I could just have 1 or 2 I wouldn't have a problem. It's just putting off the inevitable really. Please do see a doc though
Old 07-27-2013, 05:17 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Dismember

It is possible to experience withdrawal & d.t.'s even when there is alcohol in your system. So tapering is always a gamble even though it used to be the method used before medicines were developed.

And even though enough people have said it already, what's one more? You can definitely go to AA. You could tell your story to my homegroup and we'd welcome you as unconditionally as anyone.

Hope things go well for you! And be proud of yourself for taking this step. If possible I agree with others that you should see a doctor if at all possible. It's not only the most pain-free / stress-free way out, it's also the safest.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:19 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Unlike the others who posted here, I was able to control the amount I drank and tapered down to zero and quit two days ago. No problems at all! (Except for insomnia).
Old 07-27-2013, 10:23 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Spent 20 years trying to "cut back". Never stuck. Sometimes the fade out would last a few days. After those few clean days I always wound up drinking again.
Not to mention what a headache it was to be monitoring my intake all the time. What a pain.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:16 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Sober since March 21, 2013

I once spent over a month tapering down to zero and did not drink at all for almost a year after that.

Started having a beer occasionally with no problem. Within two months I was back to drinking every day.

Tapering never works as a long term solution. There is always another hang-over waiting just a few drinks away.

I agree with the others about going to AA now. All you need is the deire to stop drinking. You'll get support in person for some of the questions you have.

Good Luck!