Denial

Old 07-24-2013, 04:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Denial

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

Denial

Denial is a powerful tool. Never underestimate its ability to cloud your vision.

Be aware that, for many reasons, we have become experts at using this tool to make reality more tolerable. We have learned well how to stop the pain caused by reality - not by changing our circumstances, but by pretending our circumstances are something other than what they are.

Do not be too hard on yourself. While one part of you was busy creating a fantasy reality, the other part went to work on accepting the truth.

Now, it is time to find courage. Face the truth. Let it sink gently in.

When we can do that, we will be moved forward.

God, give me the courage and strength to see clearly.
Old 07-24-2013, 04:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Ahhhh denial!!! Denial was my best friend and my enemy for far too long. And I have struggled with accepting that. I look back and think how could I have not have known? What was I thinking? It was right there before my own eyes!!! How could I be so stupid??

Even worse, I was in denial about my own self. I wasn't the one with the problem.

Denial is a tricky little bugger. Today, I work hard to face reality...good or bad.
I am grateful that I can see the truth more clearly.....most of the time and when I can't, I have a great support group to help shine the light on it.
Old 07-24-2013, 06:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I kept telling myself "it's not that bad". Yes, it WAS.

I thought it would end if only... It didn't, no matter what.

I thought "this time it will be different". It wasn't. Not the next time either. Or the time after that.

I knew in my heart that I was sinking deeper and isolating from the real world more and more. I hid in myself, in my house and in my denial.

The sad thing was, at the time, I believed my lies. Nobody else really "knew" or "understood", I was right and the entire universe was wrong.

Denial became my demon, I had to fight to face the truth and fight even harder to accept it as reality.

Never under estimate the power of denial. It takes real courage to open the door and see the reality that has become your life.

I surely needed this reminder today, how timely this reading is for me.

Hugs
Old 07-24-2013, 07:36 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Restoring myself to sanity

For me it was easier to live in denial about how bad my ex's drug problem was then to face the cold hard truth and do something about it... The day I faced the truth was much easier then the 5 years I lived in denial... Go figure