Notices

Day 6 is proving to be a downer

Old 07-24-2013, 02:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 6 is proving to be a downer

5 days down - that's cool. Not much to report. No booze - no sleep.

Today - for whatever reason - just feeling bummed. My willpower is fading. So very tired.

Wife had a couple of glasses of wine last night and it was SOOOO tempting.

Going to an SF Giants game tonight and not really sure how I won't order just one beer lol.

I know the advice..."Just don't go to the game". Well - we've had these tickets for quite a while and the kids are really looking forward to it. What do I say... "Sorry boys - can't go to the game - Dad's an alcoholic?".

Nope. Just got to fight through it.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi. I know your feelings about the game and Kids. Just remember that stopping drinking is about the most important thing in your life, because if you don't you will probably say good by to your kids, besides drinking is a horrible example for them, Good by to job, housing, bank account as lawyers know how to suck it up, and perhaps your self respect. Remember we're dealing with some serious shirt here that is a taker, even your life. BE WELL
Old 07-24-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

You can get thru this sober and come out feeling better on the other side. Remember all the reasons you got sober in the first place.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

congrats on day 6. Ealry sobriety can be rough but it really does get better. Maybe worse before it gets better but you will get there. Can your wife maybe not drink in front of you if itaffects you that much? Is she supportive? I understand as my husband drinks (normally) and I didn't expect him to quit. I found it easier as he drank a drink I don't like- it would have been a different story had he drunk my doc.

Can someone else take your boys? Or just don't go. Maybe your kids will prefer a sober dad. I know it's hard but if you know you are going to be tempted why put temptation in your way. 1 beer? Maybe you know it won't really be 1 but several.

For your sake I really hope you don't throw away the ;last few days. TRust me, keep going back to day 1 is no fun at all and each time just takes another bit of you away.

There will always be a reason to just have 1 beer- a game, party, Christmas, birthday, holiday, thanksgiving, good day, bad day. For me,it was about avoiding temptation in the early days and then learning how to live sober and deal with these situations as time goes on and I've got a few more weeks sober. I'm still only 7.5 months but it really does get easier to deal with these situations.
Old 07-24-2013, 02:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

You're a football fan right? Go to the game...for you..and your kids. It's about football and family. It's not about drinking. But here's the thing..you are very TIRED DB.
Remember H.A.L.T. (Hungry Angry Lonely TIRED)..that is my concern first and foremost. The guy whose been talking round here does not want to return to the old life spinning round and round goin' nowhere but drunkland. He wants to be a good husband, dad and member of society. He wants to "be there" right? Present...on...

Every time your tempted tonight..remember YOUR TIRED. Don't blow what you've been working on through (and working well) cuz YOUR TIRED.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

DrunkenBob, Day 6 is proving to be a downer? You are FANTASTIC. Congratulations. you fought off the temptation so that good. Rootin for ya.
Old 07-24-2013, 03:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

All great points everyone - thanks - glad I posted before leaving.

I KNOW my kids prefer sober Dad so that is what they're going to get. It's funny as the ballpark is one of the FEW places I actually do practice responsible drinking as I would never drive drunk with my kids.

Just afraid if I do have that one or two beers - what happens the next 6 days.

Going to stay strong and look at it like a challenge.

Thanks for the support :-)
Old 07-24-2013, 03:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

What do I say... "Sorry boys - can't go to the game - Dad's an alcoholic?".
How about 'I'm here with my kids and have no business drinking anyway', Bob?
Stifle the voice before it begins.

I know you can do this

D
Old 07-24-2013, 03:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by DrunkenBob View Post
It's funny as the ballpark is one of the FEW places I actually do practice responsible drinking as I would never drive drunk with my kids.

Just afraid if I do have that one or two beers - what happens the next 6 days.
Okay...this WHOLE train of thought is concerning. Don't let your addiction BS you into thinking you're in some sorta "drink safe" zone cuz you would't drive with your kids..and you drinking RESPONSIBLY at ball parks. Argh. There is nothing responsible about you picking up a drink tonight..NOTHING.

Uh uh uh uh.....I "hear" your addiction...yup yup yup...

What Dee said...and then some.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:35 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hope you got through it ok Drunkenbob

Agree with Dee & Nuudawn. Even 1 or 2 isn't responsible drinking for people who have a problem,even more so when driving with kids.

Please let us know how you got on last night