How to pick a rehab?

Old 07-23-2013, 12:04 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to pick a rehab?

Assuming our son is still on board with going to rehab, where do I start to find one and how do I pick the right one? He has recently started going to a therapist and he recommended a place but that place only does detox which he doesn't need. I'm imagining he is doing that in jail where he is sitting for now. From them we got a few referrals though.

Before someone says let him pick one cause it isn't my business (I've been here before, lol) he can't at the moment because he is sitting in jail. His fiance and I want to do some research and get some info. We want him to go straight there from jail. He did agree to this when my husband visited him in jail on Sunday.

Being totally clueless about this, I'd like other people's experiences. Some general questions/concerns:

Our family isn't too thrilled about the 12 step program. Are most rehabs based on the 12 step model? Anyone heard of any other options we could use? I have heard of other methods such as SMART, AVRT, etc. but don't know if these only apply to out patient as in a self help group they go to on their own or what?

We are interested in 'in patient' only.

He does have medical insurance.

We are in Florida where we have the Marchman Act. Basically this court orders one into rehab and forces them to stay for a specified period of time or go to jail. Does anyone have experience with this?

What questions do we need to ask? What things should we look for?

Thanks so much!

Kari
Old 07-23-2013, 12:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Kari Sue, I found that google was my best friend when researching the affordable, free rehabs that could/would be offered. What also occured was that the court ordered JJ's rehab and they have a substance abuse assessment counselor who interviewed him and then recommended a rehab best suited for his situation. It is not costing me one cent as it is court ordered! Don't know about your state, but if you reach out to his public defender, they may be able to tell you more.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

if you click on the Find Help link at the very top of the page there's a lot of resource info there.
Old 07-23-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

Is money an object? Are you looking for cushy like in the 30k and up per month range? Middle of the road in the under 30k range? Or low cost/no cost?
Old 07-23-2013, 01:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi KariSue,

When my husband was actively using, I began researching rehabs. I think its great you are doing this because it is a very serious decision. Treatment is the key to recovery & it needs to match HIS needs; and its also a confusing process especially if you also have to deal with insurance issues. My husband went to a non-12 step rehab that was based on addiction medicine / private therapy & we had a good experience. He stayed for 90 days. If you have any questions that I can answer based on our experience, feel free to send me a private message.

As far as locating rehabs, doing google searches and reviewing website info provided is a great start. Also, here is a link to the Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Treatment Finder & Hotline: The Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration - Homepage

When looking for treatment here are some things to keep in mind:
NIDA Principles of Effective Treatment

The National Institute on Drug Abuse, a federal agency that is part of the National Institutes of Health, issued 13 principles of effective treatment for drug addiction in 1999. These principles call for the treatment of the whole person:
1. No single treatment is appropriate for all individuals.
2. Treatment needs to be readily available.
3. Effective treatment attends to multiple needs of the individual, not just his or her drug use.
4. An individual's treatment and services plan must be assessed continually and modified as necessary to ensure that the plan meets the person's changing needs.
5. Remaining in treatment for an adequate period of time is critical for treatment effectiveness.
6. Individual or group counseling and other behavioral therapies are critical components of effective treatment for addiction.
7. Medications are an important element of treatment for many patients, especially when combined with counseling and other behavioral therapies.
8. Addicted or drug-abusing individuals with coexisting mental disorders should have both disorders treated in an integrated way.
9. Medical detoxification is only the first stage of addiction treatment and by itself does little to change long-term drug use.
10. Treatment does not need to be voluntary to be effective.
11. Possible drug use during treatment must be monitored continuously.
12. Treatment programs should provide assessment for HIV/AIDS, hepatitis B and C, tuberculosis and other infectious diseases, and counseling to help patients modify or change behaviors that place themselves or others at risk of infection.
13. Recovery from drug addiction can be a long-term process and frequently requires multiple episodes of treatment.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Treatment is the key to recovery
I am curious. If this is true - then have the many well known addicts, such as Lindsay Lohan, Brooke Mueller, Charlie Sheen, etc, etc, etc, all pick the wrong kind of treatment every time?

KariSue, IMO, I think you should post this on the new recovery or substance abuse side and get the many RA's advice/input as well.
Old 07-23-2013, 02:49 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

The Salvation Army has a very good long term program that costs nothing and has a wonderful reputation.

The success of any rehab is directly related to the willingness of the resident to get clean and stay clean.

Good luck.

Hugs
Old 07-23-2013, 07:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
Is money an object? Are you looking for cushy like in the 30k and up per month range? Middle of the road in the under 30k range? Or low cost/no cost?
Low cost but I have no idea what the ranges are. Wow 30k a month boggles my mind. He has nothing but we can help if we have to.

Kari
Old 07-23-2013, 07:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LoveMeNow View Post
I am curious. If this is true - then have the many well known addicts, such as Lindsay Lohan, Brooke Mueller, Charlie Sheen, etc, etc, etc, all pick the wrong kind of treatment every time?

KariSue, IMO, I think you should post this on the new recovery or substance abuse side and get the many RA's advice/input as well.
Thanks, good idea to post it elsewhere. I did.

Kari
Old 07-23-2013, 07:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
●▬๑۩۩๑▬●

30k is actually on the low end of cushy, one of the celeb rehabs out in Cali is like 80k a month and I wouldn't send my drug addicted dog to it.

I'll send you a link on rehabs where you can filter by location and cost, plus they do a really nice unbiased review of each one.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:04 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Originally Posted by cynical one View Post
30k is actually on the low end of cushy, one of the celeb rehabs out in Cali is like 80k a month and I wouldn't send my drug addicted dog to it.

But but but, they "cure" addiction.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:43 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cynical.......I'm so sorry to hear about your dog (sorry.....couldn't resist). I can't imagine $80k per month! Egad that's simply out of reach for most people.

My husband went to a non-12 step rehab that was based on addiction medicine / private therapy & we had a good experience. He stayed for 90 days.
Allforcnm
Since you are one of the few on here who have experience with a long term non-12 step based recovery program, would you be willing to share a ballpark cost of such treatment? I think it would be helpful for people to understand their options and understand the costs associated with such options.

Our son went to a total of five programs. The first one wasn't too expensive. It was outpatient and probably cost in the $2500 ballpark (that was 15 years ago so memory is foggy). The second was a 28 day intensive in patient at $8,500. The third was an intensive out patient at $3,500 for three months. The fourth was a 21 day in patient at $4,200. And the fifth and most recent was a six month intensive inpatient program for zero cost (Salvation Army ARC). None of the first four programs were covered by insurance.....they said he wasn't "addicted enough". Imagine that.

So how much could one expect to spend for an intensive 90 day, non-12 step based program (with insurance and without)?

gentle hugs
ke
Old 07-23-2013, 10:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kindeyes View Post
Allforcnm
Since you are one of the few on here who have experience with a long term non-12 step based recovery program, would you be willing to share a ballpark cost of such treatment? I think it would be helpful for people to understand their options and understand the costs associated with such options.

So how much could one expect to spend for an intensive 90 day, non-12 step based program (with insurance and without)?

ke

I think the cost of non 12 step rehab varies just like it does with 12 step rehab. There are lots of variables, and Im not qualified to give estimates by any means. When I started doing research, I used google and then started calling rehabs that were in our region, and asked questions. Based on my husbands situation, I started making a short list of things that I felt were important as part of treatment. I also talked a lot to our family doctor, and even had input from my gynecologist because I was pregnant while I was doing all this. But.... everyone I think has to determine what their needs are, and address them as best as possible within their own budget. My husband was fortunate, he was still working and had good healthcare. I don't find your issue with insurance odd at all. Our insurance company did not want to pay for my husband to have inpatient rehab at first. This was his first treatment & they had a type of stepladder protocol that said lesser treatments should be tried first. But his rehab was able to cut through the red tape. I know I posted about this topic before; I don't know how they did it and didn't ask too many questions. But even with that help, we still had to pay out of pocket.
Old 07-24-2013, 05:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing allforcnm. It still left me wondering if the program your husband went to is affordable for the average person or, as is often the case with addiction, a household that that has been ravaged by the financial fallout of an addicted family member.....in situations where they have mortgaged their home to pay for legal expenses or are already in jeopardy of losing their home to foreclosure or something of that nature.

If someone has insurance or the financial ability to go to expensive rehabs, that's absolutely great.......but if they don't.......it's important to note that there are options that are just as effective as the $8,000 - $80,000 per month variety at low (or no) cost. Ultimately it matters less about the quality of the rehab facility than it does about the quality of the individual addict's commitment to their own recovery.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 07-24-2013, 07:46 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Kindeyes View Post
Thanks for sharing allforcnm. It still left me wondering if the program your husband went to is affordable for the average person
Of course it was.

If someone has insurance or the financial ability to go to expensive rehabs, that's absolutely great
I think so too.

.......but if they don't.......it's important to note that there are options that are just as effective as the $8,000 - $80,000 per month variety at low (or no) cost.
Im sure there are. And there are both non-12 step & 12 step rehabs that fall in this same category.

Ultimately it matters less about the quality of the rehab facility than it does about the quality of the individual addict's commitment to their own recovery.
I think that if a person is committing to going to an inpatient rehab, then they are looking for help in resolving their addiction issues. So it is my opinion that the help' they receive should match their needs as close as possible. So I do think quality of care is important. And please note I said quality of care, not quality of the rehab center. But I agree a person has to be motivated to end their addiction and make a commitment to change or they will never utilize the tools they are given.
Old 07-24-2013, 07:56 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Hi, just as a perspective, the rehab my son is at is a rugged outdoor environment (200 acres of land in the hills of east san diego). No frills, shared rooms, bunk beds and dorm style living. 12 step program based on AA principles. There are 50 guys and they all pitch in with chores around the ranch, they have horseshoes and a mini golf range and they lift weights. They have two outdoor barbeque fire pits and families are encouraged to visit any time any day after 2 PM. Meetings are held on site and they invite the public. The cost for low income determined is $300.00 per month and those privately admitted is not much more. In my research, this organization has a very good success rate and the residents continue to help others after they graduate. Its sure not the Ritz, but those who found success with it are life long supporters.

My neighbor went to Passages in Malibu a few years aago, spent $18,000.00 for 28 day inpatient. He kicked an addiction to Norco pills and alcohol and is still sober. That is not a 12 step program.
Old 07-24-2013, 08:44 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

IMO, a person may not utilize the tools that they are given....right away, however they have them when they are ready, which is still important.

I am also wondering if the length of time spent in a rehab is as important as the rehab???

However, I have met several RAs (heroine, crack) who have never been to rehab and have still maintained sobriety through working a 12 step program.

So, once again, I still believe it is the commitment that truly matters.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I agree with the others who have said that the real determining factor in the success of any recovery attempt is the desire of the addict. I think that if you really want to get and stay clean, just like when you *really* decide you are done being a codependent control freak, when that time to let go comes, with or without fanfare, you will do anything, and anything can work.

I started my recovery working the 12 steps and I was raised by atheists. I was ready to use whatever tools were available to me, even if at first I had to modify them to fit my particular understanding, I didn't let that deter me in the least. I am one of the biggest proponents of "take what you need and leave the rest" that I know, because I walked into recovery without a God and just started working. I was done with life as it was and by gosh I was gonna make something work or else I was gonna die trying. I have grown so much in a short time since then, and I still have so much growing to do, but I think once someone gets to that place, when things just can't continue as they are, 80K or free doesn't matter all that much. I rely mostly on personal therapy now combined with both classic and unconventional ACoA recovery techniques, everyone is different.

That said... $80K per month?! Can anyone start one of these dog rehabs? I think I would be really good at this. Free collar and leash set on every third visit.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:22 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Behold the power of NO

Originally Posted by Ann View Post
The Salvation Army has a very good long term program that costs nothing and has a wonderful reputation.
Hugs
Hi Ann, I am not being "funny" or disrespectful but doesn't the Salvation Army force people to become Christian and go solicit money for their organization?
I am a spiritual person but I believe in religious freedom and I also see those guys out there especially during the holiday season, having to beg outside of Macy's is kind of demeaning even if it is for a good cause.

I agree with you btw, people will get out of treatment what they put it.
Old 07-24-2013, 11:07 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by allforcnm View Post
So I do think quality of care is important. And please note I said quality of care, not quality of the rehab center.
Well I'm saying it -- quality of the rehab facility is important too.

My state's sponsored certified rehab facility, which always garnered praise blah blah blah, was shut down due to too many deaths.

RAD was all for the state sponsored one - everyone went there! - but I said no way in hell, and this was before the investigations began. I'm glad I listened to my instincts, did some in depth research, and sent her to a private facility instead.