Notices

addiction therapist

Old 07-22-2013, 05:42 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Been there, done that!

addiction therapist

Hi all, currently trying to do something different in my recovery want to use all the recourses I can! just wanted to know if any one has used a therapist and how it went for them.?
Old 07-22-2013, 05:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

I have not but it sounds like a great idea. Let us know what you learn!
Old 07-22-2013, 05:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I used addiction therapists and psychologists.
They are good to use. I found many were very educated on addiction but yet have never been an addict themselves.
I have had 1 addiction therapist that was an addict (alcohol, same as me) and even though he was much older then me I found a lot in common with him. Same career, same hobbies, same addiction. He has been sober 18 years and was involved in AA so he is now my sponsor.
Old 07-22-2013, 05:52 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I did and she was lovely.
Very expensive as not NHS.
Really nice lady.

Did not solve any of my problems.

There was no other reason to why I drank too much apart from I liked drinking.
No bad childhood, no traumatic events etc etc.

I still think you should give it a go though.
Your experience might be better.

I wish you the best
xx
Old 07-22-2013, 07:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

I would recommend finding someone that is in recovery but that not an absolute. YouNeed someone who will see through your\my alcoholic BS
Old 07-22-2013, 08:07 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I found a good therapist who specializes in a few areas including addiction and depression treatment. He is awesome. I was seeing him every week, now finances are a big tighter so its every other week. I get so much out of our time together.

Highly recommend but make sure you find the right person! Good on you for being willing to look into other avenues. You are awesome.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:32 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My therapist was an addict herself. I initially went to her about an emotionally abusive relationship. Turns out ..the root of so much could be found in my alcoholism/my addictive mind. She is a wizard and I count her as perhaps the most important component of my recovery...either her or the nutbar I dated that resulted in me getting to her : )

P.S. I likely wouldn't have faith in a therapist in this regard..unless she was an addict herself/himself. I also wouldn't go to a priest for marriage counselling. You have to have "lived" with it...in my mind.

Last edited by Nuudawn; 07-22-2013 at 08:34 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 07-22-2013, 08:40 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I went to a therapist for years. I was not there for my alcoholism, but my alcoholism became the topic of many sessions. I found it to be very helpful. Being 100% honest is the only way to go about this. So, it may be good to have a therapist who is in recovery. He/she will be able to guide and help you through the thoughts, and also call you out on anything that may not be working.
It is a step in the right direction.
Old 07-22-2013, 09:23 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
now's the time

I see one weekly. It is a huge help to me. There are no lightning bolt solutions... but she helps me look at what I'm experiencing with an outside eye.

I honestly also think one of the main values is just that it helps me check in with myself. Having an hour a week where my only job is to talk about my progress and how I'm doing often brings issues to the surface that I would otherwise ignore. It keeps me on top of my game... fewer surprises.