Another quote on healing before another relationship

Old 07-21-2013, 12:00 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Another quote on healing before another relationship

Ok so that's not what it says, but that's what it's about for me....

"If you cannot be at ease with yourself when alone, you will seek a relationship to cover up your unease. You can be sure that the unease will then reappear in some other form within the relationship, and you will probably hold your partner responsible for it."--Eckhart Tolle (The Power of the NOW p145)

Now not for a minute do I think we're responsible for their alcoholism, or what flows from it. But this is a good reminder to me that I need to get right frank with myself about why I needed his life so much that I tried to hard to *save* him and had so much invested in that when he didn't.

Food for thought.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:02 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Needed his LOVE. Funny Freudian slip that autocorrect said "life."
Old 07-21-2013, 12:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Darn Freudian slips.

dandylion
Old 07-21-2013, 12:38 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

I would suggest . . . any potential "new" ones . . . offer them a drink and sit back and watch the results.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In my experience I needed someone's "love" in order to fill the void in myself. I don't love myself, so I use my partner to give me that approval and worth. And every little thing becomes a proof of his love or lack thereof. If I don't have love for me, then I will crave any sign of "love" from my partner, even if there are red flags everywhere and he is totally unsuitable for me. It's a very tiring and scary way to live.

Re: the quote, so true. Any problems I have while alone are magnified and brought into relief in a relationship. Right now I'm taking time to develop a relationship with myself before getting involved with another person. I'm giving myself a year of alone time. Who knows, at the end the end of the year I might like it so much I'll do another year!