Notices

How long is "early recovery"? Opinions?

Old 07-21-2013, 11:57 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Question How long is "early recovery"? Opinions?

I am at 50+ days today. For my part, I know that I will still be a newbie even when I hit the one year mark (which I will).

But at what point does the 'noob' phase wear off? I know it's not like a light going on in people's heads, it's not like you suddenly pass some discrete threshold and suddenly you're a recovery 'old timer' where recovery becomes like a practiced habit. But I'm curious about people's subjective experiences on this nonetheless.

Happy with anyone's opinions, but people with more sobriety under their belts (1+ years or more) is particularly of interest to me.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:06 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm only 7.5 months so new in a time sense but for me,it was a change of mindset that happened about 5-6 months that I now feel comfortable being sober and it's not a daily struggle.

I now genuinely believe I won't drink again whereas before it was just a want and a struggle. I suppose it's different for everyone but a change of mindset,lifestyle,acceptance of a problem even rather than fighting it all the time
Old 07-21-2013, 12:35 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

The longer I'm sober the less I find I know. One thing I do know for certain is that I have to be teachable, willing to grow, and willing to change. Recovery is not an event
it is a process that has no end
Old 07-21-2013, 12:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
~sb

2 years and 2 months and I kinda feel new....the more I learn, the more I need to know, but it's comfortable being sober....although I will admit on occasion the thought does come to mind....I can think it through to the bad consequences which I don't want today.
Old 07-21-2013, 12:42 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

2 years.
Old 07-21-2013, 01:54 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Originally Posted by Taking5 View Post
2 years.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am a hair over 1 year sober. I still feel like a newcomer to the process. I have been through several transformations (some regressive) during my sobriety. In my experience it has been a "two steps forward, one step back" routine.

My problems today are much different than the problems I faced in my first week, my 6th month, or my 11th month. However, that does not mean they are easier.

Socialization with old friends, new friends, traveling, dating, employment, weddings, funerals - every time you experience a situation sober for the first time, it brings up new questions.

I think that once you've experienced many of life's challenges and survived them sober, and have developed a plan how to handle them...only THEN can you consider yourself not a newcomer. For me that is not today, I am learning new things every day and every week.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

Early recovery is just a phrase, nothing time specific.

As others have said, recovery is an ongoing process.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:17 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I am almost at 18 months sober.

I agree with others. The further along I get the more I realize how much I have to learn.

I'd say the day that this question no longer speaks to me....
......Is probably the day I'm no longer in early recovery.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I agree with EternalQ... Good answer, when the question doesn't seem relevant anymore... Took me a couple of years... The first 9 months suc#ed @ss though, it got much better after that.