Addiction - The Disease that Lies

Old 07-18-2013, 03:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

Addiction - The Disease that Lies

Addiction: The disease that lies - CNN.com
Old 07-18-2013, 04:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thank you for posting LoveMeNow. I have been hearing at meetings and SR and 'intellectually' understand that addiction is a disease. My heart and spirit has been very angry at AS for using, flunking out of college and the legal trouble he is in. "Why can't he just stop!" This article (finally) helped me get it. Thank you.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:03 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

As with anything, please take what you want and leave the rest.
Old 07-18-2013, 05:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Every one of these deaths is tragic. They died of a disease that lies to them. Great talent and intelligence do not protect us from any illness.
As our addicted loved ones lie to us, so the disease lies to them. That's how the damage is done, that's how they die.

It is heartbreaking to watch our loved ones self-destruct through addiction, it is tragic when any one of them dies.

Each time someone well known dies, I pray that this will be the time, this will be the one time that "normal" people open their eyes, open their hearts and open their minds and start talking about addiction to each other, to their children and to those who still believe that it can never happen to them. It happens to "them", to "us", every day, no matter who we are or where we live.

Thanks for posting this LMN, I will be sending it to a few friends who only recently discovered that their own children were addicted to heroin and who have no idea why it happened to "good people like them".

Hugs
Old 07-18-2013, 06:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

In late stages of addiction we can see how reward-related drives, especially those for survival, are reprioritized when people risk their families, their jobs, even their lives to continue to use drugs and alcohol. The continued use of the drug becomes the most important drive, at a subconscious level and unrecognized by the individual, undermining even life itself.
This is so true, I witnessed it with my own eyes. I think the hardest part for those of us who love an addict is to translate between disease, which is what is in a textbook, and illness, which is the experience of a human being in trouble. And being unable to do a thing to truely help them.

I think when we have witnessed recovery it's extremely hard wrapping our minds around them going back out and using/drinking.......the disease that we just don't fully understand YET.
Old 07-18-2013, 07:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

All of us are responsible for learning the truth about addiction, raising awareness and intervening for those who have this disease, knowing they are unlikely to be able to do so for themselves.
If only it were *that* easy......
Old 07-18-2013, 08:34 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing this. It is a great summary of what is current in addiction medicine, and quotes straight from National Institute of Drug Abuse too as shared in our stickies.

The good news is that treatment is effective and specifically designed to help people recognize the problem within. Most people are coerced into treatment for one reason or another; they may be facing legal issues, job loss or divorce.

With good treatment their likelihood for recovery and abstinence is just as good as the minority who seek treatment of their own accord. Unfortunately, fewer than 10% of those with addiction recognize they have it and seek treatment

All of us are responsible for learning the truth about addiction, raising awareness and intervening for those who have this disease, knowing they are unlikely to be able to do so for themselves

Myth No. 5: You have to hit 'rock bottom'
Here's why this is dangerous: If we wait until a person "bottoms out," it could be too late to help them.
Every person has a different "bottom." For some, it could be getting arrested or becoming homeless. For many, it's much less dramatic -- losing an important personal relationship, being confronted by family or doing poorly at work or school.
There is little evidence that the level of consequences a person accumulates before seeking help is related to their chances of succeeding in recovery. It's better to get help early than to hold out for the perfect desperate moment.
Myth No. 3: Addiction is for life
This simply isn't true, and it places a huge emotional and psychological burden on recovered addicts. Addiction is a spectrum disorder, like depression, and every person is different.
While there are plenty of cases where addicts struggle for years to overcome a drug addiction, many more cases reveal the opposite -- short-term users who manage to put the past behind them and lead normal and productive lives. According to the National Institute on Alcoholism and Alcohol Abuse, 75% of alcoholics recover without treatment.
Old 07-18-2013, 08:57 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tjp613 View Post
If only it were *that* easy......
Exactly.

So...are we to wait until they "hit bottom" (which, in some cases, is too late) or intervene regardless if they are "ready" or not?

It's terribly confusing, and overwhelming for us. Is it partly OUR fault then, when we don't intervene and they die? Should we step in and force them into treatment that we can't afford (already spent thousands of dollars) and the state won't supply? And how many times should we do that?

Not bashing the poster or author of the article. Seriously. I'm asking. I feel so guilt-ridden already, I don't know which way to turn. Is my 29 year old daughter expected to see the light and cure herself, or should I drag her, again, to treatment? How long do we wait before stepping in?

If that is the case - that the addict CAN'T do it for themselves, in some case, should we campaign to bring back the ability to commit someone, on our word against theirs, for their own good?

Honestly - I don't know.
Old 07-18-2013, 09:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

So there are no confusions, the myth article states "The opinions expressed are solely those of Adi Jaffe." He is not with Halzeden. His website allaboutaddiction.com seems to be taken down too. ????
Old 07-18-2013, 09:32 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Getting there!!

I agree, it is very confusing. Cory Monteith entered a treatment facility for substance addiction in April yet died a few months later as a result of "a mixed drug toxicity, involving heroin and alcohol."

Once again, proves to me that money and rehabs do not mean recovery.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by YouWillBe View Post
Exactly.

So...are we to wait until they "hit bottom" (which, in some cases, is too late) or intervene regardless if they are "ready" or not?

It's terribly confusing, and overwhelming for us. Is it partly OUR fault then, when we don't intervene and they die? Should we step in and force them into treatment that we can't afford (already spent thousands of dollars) and the state won't supply? And how many times should we do that?

Not bashing the poster or author of the article. Seriously. I'm asking. I feel so guilt-ridden already, I don't know which way to turn. Is my 29 year old daughter expected to see the light and cure herself, or should I drag her, again, to treatment? How long do we wait before stepping in?

If that is the case - that the addict CAN'T do it for themselves, in some case, should we campaign to bring back the ability to commit someone, on our word against theirs, for their own good?

Honestly - I don't know.
Profound and earnest questions. I don't have any answers but I completely agree with the questions.